Red dot for clays
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Red dot for clays

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Default Red dot for clays

Does anyone use a red dot sight for clays or upland hunting? What's been your experience?

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-19-2014, 10:01 PM   #2

Liked 188 Times on 139 Posts

Most everyone is going to tell you they are no good, yada, yada, but I used a Weaver Qwik-Point many moons ago with great success on everything. If it hadn't of been for the lousy mount set up I would have probably never stopped. Shot a 25 at skeet with an occluded sight no less. That means sight tube was blocked, and one eye saw the dot and the other eye saw the target. I currently have a Burris SpeedBead on my Model 1100 Magnum waterfowl gun, and have for 3 years. I wish I had the bigger dot they have available now, but it works extremely well. I don't need it, but I like to fool around with different things. And it is every bit as fast as without it. I shoot clays with it for practice as well.
An optical sight does not require you to lose focus on the target at all. The dot and the target are both right out there in the same focal plane. Your eye and brain VERY quickly learn to reference off of the dot versus the peripheral sight picture of the barrel one usually has to use.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Thanks

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 09-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #4

Liked 431 Times on 251 Posts

Why on Earth do you need it? Look at the dang bird, period, keep the gun moving, keep head on stock, pull trigger. Done. No dots needed. It's a distraction.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
People Like This 
Old 09-19-2014, 11:23 PM   #5

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I thought he was talking about gunpowder. Try the red dot. If it does not work you can put it on another gun.
RKB Likes This 
Old 09-19-2014, 11:41 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 337 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Damn, I thought he was talking about the powder too ! Lots of the guys at my club use it. Never seen anyone use a "sight" per se.

Big dogs say your not even supposed to look at the bead n lead - just at the bird.
RKB Likes This 
Old 09-20-2014, 12:20 AM   #7
RKB

Liked 250 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Red Dot? Love the powder, can't comment on the gadget. 16 gr Red Dot (or Promo) behind 3/4oz shot in a normal (not back-bored or oversized bore) is a sweet clay-killing load if you do YOUR job.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:54 AM   #8

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You don't aim a shotgun with a sight. You point the gun at the target, and follow the target with both eyes open. Then you swing the gun to follow what you are seeing with your eyes and keep the gun moving either leading the target or swinging through the target.

For example, with a double bead setup on a gun with a raised rib, you use the middle bead and front bead to form an "8" - that make it so the gun is shouldered at the correct level.

After that - you never look at the beads again. You point the gun at the target as you follow it with your eyes and swing through or lead the target (your choice) and when you're at the correct point in front of the target - pull the trigger.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #9

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I prefer at least a 4x scope!

Old 09-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #10

Liked 188 Times on 139 Posts

You will note that all the negative comments are coming from non-users.
During WWII they used optical sights on shotguns to train aerial gunners. All the modern sighting systems are heads up displays - I.e. optical sights. I do not particularly care for the aesthetics myself, but they do work. Just looking at the target doesn't do squat unless the eye and the brain can form a reference with the gun barrel in peripheral vision and learn what sight picture produces a hit. That is why gun fit matters. With an optical sight, there is less tendency to get all tangled up with gun fit and everything, particularly for new shooters. All they have to do is put the dot in front of the target the right distance. You can see both easily, and in focus. You never have to take your eye off the target.
And I never heard the BS about figure 8 until a few years ago, on the internet of course. Double beads have been around a LOT longer. The gun should shoot to point of aim with the beads superimposed, not stacked, and you only want a gun to shoot high with trap. I was an accomplished wingshot before I ever tried one, and I was quite frankly amazed. So were all my friends who tried it. It is fine to not like them; I don't like O/Us, but they both do work.