Recommendation for clay pigeon shooting.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Recommendation for clay pigeon shooting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Recommendation for clay pigeon shooting.

I have been clay pigeon shooting a few times and find it so much fun and a great challenge. I believe what I've been doing would be classified as trap shooting. The most recent round really got me into it, and now I'm wanting to pick up my own shotgun so I can do it more often.

I don't recall all the shotguns I've tried, but know the most recent was an older 20 gauge Remington 870, would have to guess its from the 1960-1970's. I really enjoyed the feel of that gun.

I've read that the Remgington 870 Express is a good starter gun. While browsing their website, the Wingmaster really caught my eye in regards to the wood finish. But if I were to spend that kind of money I'm not sure if I should I look at a different brand/model.

Hoping to get some insight on how I'd go about picking out a shotgun.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #2

Liked 142 Times on 109 Posts

I always advise a new shooter to start with a good used name brand gun. If you take decent care of it and change your mind, you shouldn't lose a dime if you sell it.
I would look for a used Remington Wingmaster myself, but the BPS is a darned good gun if you prefer the feel of that as well.

What could have happened... did.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #3

I can't say enough good things about the Remington 870. The first gun I ever bought was an 870 express 12 gauge. I would also suggest the Remington 1100/11-87 shotguns may be worth a look. Both the 870 and the 1100 have been produced in the millions so you shouldn't have any trouble finding a decent used one.
The most important thing with a shotgun is it has to fit you. This affects accuracy, since the fit of the gun to your body determines how it will align with your eye. It also affect comfort which can be important if your being subjected to the recoil of several boxes of shells in a shooting session. And the more you like your gun, the you will enjoy shooting it.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 222 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 104

My first clay pigeon gun was a Remington 870 Wingmaster. I shot the hell out of it and did very well with no complaints at all. When I joined a professional shooting club, I was intimidated by all the fancy guns, so I went out and purchased a Browning Citori with the Versa-choke system. I shot that gun like crap. The day of the final competition, I again pulled out my reliable Remington 870 and ended up with the trophy. Bottom line is I will never talk bad about the good old 870, and think it would be your best bet.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1258 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 1293

I agree Rem. 870 is hard to beat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When all else fails.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #6

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A Remington 870 would be a good choice. I use a Browning over/under 12 ga. myself for skeet & trap. The problem I have is, I always worry about scratching my $1,000.00 + stock. If I were to do it all over, I'd get a composite stock and not worry, just enjoy

Also, at my age I need to start thinking about down sizing to a .16 or .20 ga. because the 12 is starting to kick me pretty hard.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Remington 870 is hard to beat. I have a Remington model 58 Sportsman 16 guage that is older than my father and I use it for skeet shooting all the time, I love that gun to death.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 09-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the replies everyone. Sounds like the Remington 870 would be my best bet. Appreciate all of this info.

Regarding buying used, where would you recommend looking more? resells at gun shops? pawns? gun shows? I've read a few things that made pawn shops sound discouraging, mostly their pricing vs retail price.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I buy all of my firearms or related items at gunshops or gun shows, because with pawn shops you run the risk of purchasing a stolen item more than a gunshop or gunshow.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 09-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #10

Liked 142 Times on 109 Posts

I've bought several of my last guns from GunBroker. Very satisfied on all fronts. I knew exactly what I wanted and found it easily.

What could have happened... did.