Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Recoil in a 12ga vs. 20ga

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Recoil in a 12ga vs. 20ga

I am planning on eventually getting a semi-auto shotgun for home defense once I am out of school. A 12ga is the only type of shotgun I have ever shot. I found it pretty powerful and it took me significant time to line up the next shot due to the recoil of the first shot. I was wondering how much less powerful a 20ga is. Is it something you can get fairly rapid shots off with on a semi-auto shotgun?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I don't know how to compare the two different guages, but a smart person will be along for that shortly i'd bet.

I have seen some "reduced recoil" buckshot for 12's before though; maybe that would do the trick. I haven't tried it myself; i don't use my shotty enough. Poor ole mossy needs more playtime.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=482134 Here are some reviews on one brand; it appears to run better in the pump shotguns, no surprise.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 10-14-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #3

Default 12 vs 20 for SD

Check in at CHUCKHAWKS.COM: Guns and Shooting Online; Motorcycles and Riding; Military History; Astronomy and Photography Online; Travel and Fishing Information Guide for some discussion from an expert on SD shotguns. He tends to favor the 20 gauge pump with short (18=20") barrel for indoor HD use. As to recoil, think gun weight and action more than gauge. By action I mean fixed breech guns (pump, o/u) have more felt recoil than automatics. Rubber recoil pads DO help. Also think about ammunition -- he favors buckshot, but others argue for slugs or bird shot.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:40 PM   #4

Liked 493 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 1621

I am no expert either, but the 20g I fired seemed to have a lot less recoil. Regardless, why do you need to fire mulitple shots quickly? I have a 12g for home defense and cannot see why I'd need to quickly fire off a lot of rounds, unless my house was being attacked by Zombies. Then I would need to FOR SURE

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 10-15-2010, 03:34 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

In my opinion:

For self-defense pump action is plenty fast. If you shoot your home/personal defense SG enough as you should in order to safely rely on it to protect your home, racking the gun becomes second nature and can be used in conjunction with the recoiling SG to cycle smoothly, recover, and engage your next (because your first target shouldn't need a follow-up) target.

Semi-Auto shot guns are very useful in shooting sports. i.e. trap, skeet, sporting clays.

One exception would be if (and you may be) this question is in reference towards a Saiga. If you have one great, use it, but if you are considering one for a home defense SG, look around. For what you'll pay for a Saiga, you can get quite a package (maybe close to 2) for a Winchester 1200, 1300 or 1400, Mossberg 500 or 590, Remington 870 and much more and they eat EVERYTHING!!! Plus modification is a blast!

Old 10-15-2010, 03:47 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I would think there would be a better selection of ammo for the 12, especially if things go from bad to worse.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #7

I use Winchester reduced recoil in my pistol grip pump & it is much better than standard loads.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The recoil is totally dependent on 1: The weight of the gun, 2: The weight of the load (oz of shot) and 3: the velocity of the load (fps). There are many 20ga loads that equal 12 ga loads (example, 1 oz loads are typical for both 12 and 20ga) and with an equal weight/action gun they would recoil the same. A gas operated semi-auto will recoil less than a pump of the same weight as some of the propellant gasses are bled off for the action. There are lighter weight 20 ga loads available, but for self defense almost all are maximum load rounds and will recoil as hard as any 20ga rounds will, and close to what the 12ga recoils. Sometimes the 20 ga will even feel harder as some of the guns are built lighter than their 12ga equals. Bottom line, for self defense the recoil will be similar, but for hunting or target shooting you can use reduced loads (in both the 12 and 20) for less recoil.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 10-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

38884 - SpecOps Shotgun Stock Pistol Grip Remington 870 Warranty

Anybody here use a shock absorber stock on their shotty?

Old 10-16-2010, 02:37 AM   #10

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default recoil

yes i do a bumpbuster but i shoot 500 to 1000 rounds a month a sd gun does not need it if you ever have to use it you will will more than likely be shooting offhand