Reccomend a Shot Gun... - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Reccomend a Shot Gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=9&categoryId=1 2944&categoryString=10636***10560***9143***11373** *

Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter

Old 02-22-2009, 08:40 PM   #32

Good choice.
I have a Maverick 88[Mossberg 500] with synthetic stock. I love mine.
Enjoy it.

S.S.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:12 PM   #33

I love my Mossberg 500a!
Got the 8shot mod with a 20" barrel and pistol grip.
Great for home defence! Put on the 28" barrel and shoulder stock and I'm ready for turkey season.
Recently got a H&R auto 5. Really like it also. Loads great and very little kick.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #34

Default JMO and BTDT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I'll second that, my father-in-law shoots 3" shells from his 870 all the time. Don't forget about the 870 Express Super Magnum, which shoots everything from 2-3/4 up to 3-1/2" shells interchangably. Not that you need a 3" or 3-1/2" shell to kill your target. In my opinion, the only thing magnum shells are good for is kick the buck out of your shoulder. If I can't kill it with a 2-3/4, I probably won't kill it with a magnum. I'm sorry I just don't think (as well as know) you don't need a magnum shell to shoot the head off a turkey.
Can't argue with this? "Been there Done That, too many times?"

Be very Careful what you ask for you might just get it, in SPADES!?1

Old 03-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #35

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I put a top folding stock on my 870. I'm not shooting any trap though, just for HD. I also went with the 20 inch bbl to get the higher capacity tube. Also added the LED tac light. Very happy with the set up.

[IMG][/IMG]

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 03-17-2009, 11:17 PM   #36

I have an 870 Express that came with a 28" barrel which is great for shooting clays. It's very accurate and holds a very nice pattern out to about 40-50 yards. I also have a 20" barrel for it for HD purposes. I bought it from Remington for about $120. You can find them cheaper except after certain elections.

Yesterday I bought a Chinese clone of an 870 known as a NEF Pardner Pump Protector. It came with a 18.5" barrel and a 5 round mag tube. You can drill out the dimples and make it hold 6 rounds plus one in the chamber. But that will void any warranty. These are well made shotguns. Marlin is the parent company for Remington and NEF and H&R (sister company to NEF). The only parts that won't interchange are the barrels and the chokes. Obviously Marlin wanted to make a cheaper version of the 870 using cheap Chinese labor. Some will take exception to that for sure. It is bad how they treat people in China. But half the stuff we buy comes from China these days. I paid $200 for a brand new NEF Protector with a 2 year warranty and a Parkerized finish which is better than the Express finish. I don't actually have any problems with my Express though because I take care of it. I also saw a Pardner pump with a 28" barrel and a 19" barrel being sold together for $240 just last week. That would solve about all of your needs but the place that was selling them is sold out. You might still find that combo around if you look.

I'm certainly not knocking the 870. They are excellent guns IMO. The clones of them are also excellent guns. If you check around you'll find lots of positive info on those guns. All the 870 accessories will fit the clones too (except the barrels obviously).

I bought another 870 type gun so my son would be able to shoot it while I was shooting one. Plus I think the value of the NEF guns are exceptionally high in the bang for the buck department. YMMV as always. I'm not trying to talk you into buying Chinese. I'm just giving you some information. You can make your own decision. You can find info about these guns on this web page including info on the combo set. They list the combo as having a different set of barrels than what I saw though. They have a 22" rifled barrel instead of the 19" smooth bore barrel.

The thing about these guns is the price. You get a gun with a better finish and practically identical parts that will hold more rounds and will accept the mag extensions for the 870. You can buy a 7+1 Express for $650 or you can buy a combo with the two barrels you want and add an extension and have a 7 round tube mag for about $300. Plus you'll have a better finish.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:40 AM   #37

i havent heard anything about the winchester 1300 here yet .mine is the rifled deer slug model with 18' barrel....(by the way these barrels are also a simple change). Today part of the firing pin broke.(man that sucks!)but besides that i never had problems with it i have fired hundreds of bird/buckshot and slugs.

but on another note im glad to hear all of the good reviews about the mossbergs because before i broke my firing pin, I wanted to do a tactical conversion on the old 1300 and give it the look and function of a 12ga that a police officer would keep in their trunk. the money i would spend on a tube extension and pistol grips/ heat shield etc., i think i may just buy a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip .. then i can replace the 20$ firing pin and keep the winchester in my truck

Springfield XD-9 Subcompact
Taurus Model 605 .357 Mag
Kel-Tec P32
Ruger 10-22
Winchester 1300 Rifled Deer Slug (Tactical)
Saiga 7.62x39

Last edited by CodyWalkerJr; 04-03-2009 at 03:46 AM.