Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Range Report Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Range Report Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag

I now have had enough time with my new Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag that I feel comfortable sharing a range report. I have run about 200 rounds of 2.75" and 3" 12 gauge shells hrough it and have had no problems. I have shot clays and birds with it and it loads, shoots and ejects without issue. Despite what you hear about the "rattling" of Mossbergs I have not experienced that with this model. Its a tight gun (some of that is because its new) and seems to be well designed.

I am also impressed with the lack of recoil (much due to the ported barrel) and the weight of the gun which is lighter than most 12 gauges. In fact the felt recoil is no more than my 20 gauge using 2.75" and 3" shells. I have not run the 3.5" shells through it yet but plan to in the future to see how the gun performs. I do a lot of bird hunting and feel very comfortable with the gun even in upland hunting situations. Its certainly not a very light gun like a 20/28 gauge so if you do a lot of upland walking this may not be the optimal choice, but for the typical pheasant hunt (out in the field for a few hours) it is not taxing to carry.

Overall this is a great all around bird gun from ducks to quail to turkey. I carried it recently in some pretty cool temps (teens) and no jam ups. If you are in the market for a great 12 gauge at a decent price ($449) this just might fill the slot.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #2

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Good choice. Glad you are enjoying it. Any change you can get some pics up?

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 02-29-2012, 05:21 AM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaster456 View Post
Good choice. Glad you are enjoying it. Any change you can get some pics up?
Yes...will post some by Friday.