You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Range report on Maverick 88 12ga shotgun


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mid Michigan
Posts: 19
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

That clamp on optic sight is a good idea. What about shooting buck shot. Let's say 00buck. Would that follow about the same flight path as slugs?
G-Mann is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:41 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu,Arizona
Posts: 9,121
Liked 4760 Times on 2603 Posts
Likes Given: 1482

Default

For in home use the fiber optic bead is better than iron sights provided you practice and can hit the same spot more than once in a row. Buckshot is not long range. From a cylinder bore 9 pellet 00 buckshot is 25 yards. Figure an inch of spread per yard. That will vary with the brand and Federal Flight Control can cut that in half doubling the range. The slug is 50 yards. Sights will extend the slug but it was never meant to be long range. My cylinder 12 is sighted for 50 yards with slugs and I have no problem staying on target with buck at the closer ranges. I have a different barrel if I want to use smaller shot. My 410 cylinder bore will put a slug close at 50 yards with the Truglow bead and the buckshot is a dead hold out to 20 yards. Pretty much useless after that as it is only 4 .40" pellets. At 7 yards they make one very large hole. Cylinder on a 410 is very close range. #6 shot is only reliable out to 20 yards. The full choke 410 barrel has a vent rib and double bead and will reach further with shot but pushing a 410 past 30-35 yards is a waste of ammo.
Every gun is different and you have to pattern your gun at various ranges with different brands. I pattern my defense guns at 7,10,15,20 and 25 yards. Slugs I try for 50 yards. If you can hit at 50 you can hit closer. Check out this Utube video if you have about 30 minutes.
__________________
Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.
JTJ is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kfox75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wrong side of the tracks, Erie PA,
Posts: 6,707
Liked 5987 Times on 3533 Posts
Likes Given: 30237

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
You need adj sights for a slug gun unless you 'luck' out and get one that is naturally 'zeroed'!
Jim. Not calling you out, but I do have to say, in my experience, that's a load of cr@p. I hunted successfully for over 20 years in a county in NY where all we could use was shotguns, and both my dad and I would regularly fill both a buck tag, and at least 1 doe tag per year, using shotguns with nothing more than a front bead, both with full chokes. So have millions of other hunters across the country, for more years than you or I have been alive.

All you need to know is proper sight picture, and POA vs. POI to make a precise hit with the old bead only smootbores, and foster slugs.

Now, that doesn't mean that i didn't upgrade to my grandfather's old Mossberg 185d when it came to me, as the old man added a Redding peep sight to the receiver back around 1950 or so, which does make it easier to hit where you want to, with less need for mental and ballistic acrobatics, but it was never a need for me to take down a deer. I also have the other grandfather's Remington 11-48, with an Echo mount scope, and I can take beer bottles off a fence rail all day long at 50 yards with either, easily making 9 out of every 10 shots.

Bead only, with the old Maverick 88 I had, it was usually 6 or 7 out of 10, and the kill zone on a deer is much bigger than a 12 ounce Molson bottle.

G-Mann, try other brands of slug, and look into a saddle mount for the 88, or even look for a M500 slug barrel, as it is a drop on part. They can be found in smooth or rifled, op0en sights or cantilever scope mount\combo, and as the M88 is a economical M500, most accessories for the 500 will fit (Exception being safety upgrades and the fore end, which can be changed out if you pick up the slide tube from a 500, and swap it out for the rivieted on that comes on the 88.

Also, were you using 2.75 or 3 inch slugs, and the veloci5ty is different between the two, and the faster 3 inch will rise faster as it is going faster, which does shift you POI up.
__________________
Guns don't kill people. Blood loss and organ failure do.

I may live in the North, but I still uphold the Southern Values I was raised with.

lifetime member. NAHC, NRA, And SCOPE NY

If it's a nice enough day to wash the bike, it's d@mn well also a nice enough day to be riding it instead.
kfox75 is offline  
JTJ Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:16 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 4,731
Liked 3352 Times on 1976 Posts
Likes Given: 2196

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Jim. Not calling you out, but I do have to say, in my experience, that's a load of cr@p. I hunted successfully for over 20 years in a county in NY where all we could use was shotguns, and both my dad and I would regularly fill both a buck tag, and at least 1 doe tag per year, using shotguns with nothing more than a front bead, both with full chokes. So have millions of other hunters across the country, for more years than you or I have been alive.

All you need to know is proper sight picture, and POA vs. POI to make a precise hit with the old bead only smootbores, and foster slugs.

Now, that doesn't mean that i didn't upgrade to my grandfather's old Mossberg 185d when it came to me, as the old man added a Redding peep sight to the receiver back around 1950 or so, which does make it easier to hit where you want to, with less need for mental and ballistic acrobatics, but it was never a need for me to take down a deer. I also have the other grandfather's Remington 11-48, with an Echo mount scope, and I can take beer bottles off a fence rail all day long at 50 yards with either, easily making 9 out of every 10 shots.

Bead only, with the old Maverick 88 I had, it was usually 6 or 7 out of 10, and the kill zone on a deer is much bigger than a 12 ounce Molson bottle.

G-Mann, try other brands of slug, and look into a saddle mount for the 88, or even look for a M500 slug barrel, as it is a drop on part. They can be found in smooth or rifled, op0en sights or cantilever scope mount\combo, and as the M88 is a economical M500, most accessories for the 500 will fit (Exception being safety upgrades and the fore end, which can be changed out if you pick up the slide tube from a 500, and swap it out for the rivieted on that comes on the 88.

Also, were you using 2.75 or 3 inch slugs, and the veloci5ty is different between the two, and the faster 3 inch will rise faster as it is going faster, which does shift you POI up.
LOL!
I know if I say white you will say black and if I say black you would say white. You are as bad as my x-wife.
You can not 'zero' a fire arm which has non adj sights. As I said early, if you luck out and find one that will shot the load you want where it should you are good, if not you should not use it to hunt or for SD. You have a nice day and I hope you are doing better.
__________________
An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!
JimRau is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:10 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kfox75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wrong side of the tracks, Erie PA,
Posts: 6,707
Liked 5987 Times on 3533 Posts
Likes Given: 30237

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
LOL!
I know if I say white you will say black and if I say black you would say white. You are as bad as my x-wife.
You can not 'zero' a fire arm which has non adj sights. As I said early, if you luck out and find one that will shot the load you want where it should you are good, if not you should not use it to hunt or for SD. You have a nice day and I hope you are doing better.
Ya know, I just love backhanded compliments.

Actually, if it's white, I'd say white regardless of whether you said white or black. And yes, you are right in that you can not zero a fixed sight weapon. However, i was not talking about zeroing the shotgun.

I was talking about zeroing your eye.

All you need to know is how a given load hits, IE, POA vs, POI, and then you uise Kentucky Windage. I've seen it more than once, mostly from younger, new members, that "My gun won't hit where I aim." comment, so they feel it is not accurate. At that point, I always ask if it is consistent in where it hits.

If they say yes, it is in fact accurate, it's their aim that's off, or they changed loads. inconsitent, it's either them, a fault with a component in the system, or it's a different brand or weight of ammo.

If you know that, at 45 yards, your 870 with the full choke field barrel throws 2 inches low, and 3 inches right, it can be countered by aiming 2 inches high, and 3 inches left, then you will hit right where you are aiming.That's how it was done with flintlock rifles anf other fixed sight weapons for over 200 years, and it has put a lot of meat on many tables. The trick at that point is to learn range estimation, and shoot at different ranges to establish POA\POI at the other distances.

Then again, I was taught by a Marine and a NYSP sharpshooter, who both hunted to feed their family, , not the Army. (j\k on the jab.)

Read up on Ed McGivern, who used fixed sight DA revolvers in many of his trick shots, and I would bet that he had to use KW to bull's eye some of the things he shot. and yes, he ran standard firearms with no special prep in his exhibitions and shows.

he just shot them enough that he had the muscle memory down on lead time, POI, distance, and trigger feel.

So no, I'm not arguing with you, just pointing out what I have learned in the time I have spent shooting to feed my family, and we have never starved because I missed a shot with that "inaccurate bead only shotgun."

And thank you. I am feeling better today than i have in along while (Looking back, I can see that I was sick for a couple months, but I just didn't catch it until things were coming up on critical.). Sutures are out, 2 more weeks of antibiotics, and i am cleared for showers, as long as I keep my PiCC line covered and dry (And man did that feel good after a month of washcloths and buckets ). Not a big victory, but a victory none the less.
__________________
Guns don't kill people. Blood loss and organ failure do.

I may live in the North, but I still uphold the Southern Values I was raised with.

lifetime member. NAHC, NRA, And SCOPE NY

If it's a nice enough day to wash the bike, it's d@mn well also a nice enough day to be riding it instead.
kfox75 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:47 AM   #16
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bobski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Va., Ct. & Mo.
Posts: 5,971
Liked 1293 Times on 1012 Posts

Default

noooow you guys know why im so dedicated to getting you all out to the ftf shoot in mo.
its a place where all this talk and yap gets put in the open and scores prove the truth.
theory is worthless.
broken targets settle scores.
still be glad to have you guys come some day.
__________________
Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
bobski is offline  
Shopfox Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:19 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kfox75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wrong side of the tracks, Erie PA,
Posts: 6,707
Liked 5987 Times on 3533 Posts
Likes Given: 30237

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
noooow you guys know why im so dedicated to getting you all out to the ftf shoot in mo.
its a place where all this talk and yap gets put in the open and scores prove the truth.
theory is worthless.
broken targets settle scores.
still be glad to have you guys come some day.
True if we're dealing with shot, but how would such an event prove the slug debate one way or another? Is there a rifle range or pistol one there as well?
__________________
Guns don't kill people. Blood loss and organ failure do.

I may live in the North, but I still uphold the Southern Values I was raised with.

lifetime member. NAHC, NRA, And SCOPE NY

If it's a nice enough day to wash the bike, it's d@mn well also a nice enough day to be riding it instead.
kfox75 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
12GA FH- Hairy Shotgun/Rifle- hubel458 General Shotgun Discussion 269 04-26-2017 07:59 AM
Pre-Easter Range Report + Ammo Report Gloves 1911 Forum 1 04-24-2011 04:50 AM
Range Report - Garland Public Shooting Range dallas-shooting Range Report 1 06-12-2009 04:01 PM