Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Questions about lights on a shot gun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 03:27 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

It does matter where it is. With a long gun it should be mounted since it takes both hands to operate the gun. It needs to be in a position that does not interfere with the sight picture. It needs to be in a position that will allow the maximum effect of the light. It shouldn't extend beyond the end of the barrel. Some will mount weapon lights to the side of the barrel or under it. I don't have any good info on whether either is better than the other. As I said earlier it needs to have a remote operating switch. Some can be operated from a bottom foregrip with a mechanical movement that turns the light on and others use a pressure switch. I have had horrible luck with pressure switches but I still use them knowing that they can and have failed.
Good luck.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 02-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #12

Liked 72 Times on 42 Posts

any comments on light color? have started seeing lights that instead of white light there putting out red light, red light doesn't bother night vision, but can u see well enough?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I have a surefire railed forend on my 500 with an e-series light mounted at the six o'clock position. It works just fine and all I have to do is move my hand slightly forward to get either momentary on or constant. Surefire lights can take abuse so I never really worried about the light moving or the effect of recoil on it. The only drawback to this set up is a slight shadow from the barrel so if you wanted absolutely no shadow you would have to mount the light farther forward, as in on the barrel or magazine tube. Both setups work great if you ask me. The important part is practicing with the system you get and making sure it works for you. Just my two cents. :-)

Old 02-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #14
Nun

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Light on HD shotgun is a must. Your not going to walk around with it on. Off on to identify/blind you target.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the info. What kind of shai are you getting at the 6 o'clock position? I've been thinking having my light at the 3 o'clock position. They make pressure switches that aren't that are just a short strait cable. I picked that position because of me being left handed. I'm not sure on the light I want yet haven't looked at them yet, all I know it's it needs to be led.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 02-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #16
JTJ

Liked 1245 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 439

There are replacement forearms for some models of shotguns that have the light built in. Very convenient, more user friendly and less chance of snagging on something. Not cheap but neither is a good light.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Looks like the Surefire foregrip replacement w/ built in light is a popular option.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Those videos are intense!

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead47 View Post
Those videos are intense!
People train like that all the time. Lot of people feel everyone should take classes like that (carbine, handgun, precision rifle, shotgun) on a regular basis.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead47
Thanks for the info. What kind of shai are you getting at the 6 o'clock position? I've been thinking having my light at the 3 o'clock position. They make pressure switches that aren't that are just a short strait cable. I picked that position because of me being left handed. I'm not sure on the light I want yet haven't looked at them yet, all I know it's it needs to be led.
Shai? Shadow? The shadow I get is from the light being to far back in relation to the barrel. So when the lights on it casts the shadow up (12 oclock). Some guys don't like this because the whole purpose of having the light is knowing your target. If you can't see their face while pointing the weapon at their chest/ center mass then the light is useless. The surefire light that I have is bright enough that even with the slight shadow I can easily tell whether it's a friend or foe. Again practice, practice, practice. Know your weapons system, your life (and the life of your loved ones) depends on it. :-)