Questions about lights on a shot gun.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Questions about lights on a shot gun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Questions about lights on a shot gun.

I was set on ordering a light kit on gg&g but after being told about chapter than dirt, there are a lot of options I can go for lights and how to mount them. my question is what are the pros and cons of the light mounted to the forearm vs mounted off the forarm. is it worth spending the money to have my light stationary instead of moving with the action?

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #2

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I don't know of any that move with the action. The light is usually mounted to the magazine tube in front of the fore stock. The light shines where the barrel is pointed.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 02-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
I don't know of any that move with the action. The light is usually mounted to the magazine tube in front of the fore stock. The light shines where the barrel is pointed.
I see a lot of forarms with the rails on it. And not all guns have the tube extension. I'm not planning on a tube extension also. So there are ways that I can mo unt it without it moving with the acton. But I also see light and grip combos so I know people do do out that way. Is it just a preference? The only different affect on the light is extra shock from slamming the action.

Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 02-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I own a Mossberg 590A1 and would have to be hard press to see the advantages of having a light affixed to weapon.
Maybe cats do see better in the dark? But having a light on would only give away one's position to be fired upon.
I'm on the fence with the pros and cons of this issue.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

With out a light you can mistake your daughters boyfriend as a bg. Not like any dad will pass that opportunity up anyways... but I'm sure I want a light just not sure how I want it on. And with more thinking about it, I may get a forearm with rail because then I will need a pressure cable. And thats just something to get snagged on.

Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 02-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1975 Times on 1070 Posts
Likes Given: 587

The pro for a light is identifying your target. Especially important if there are others in your home. It would be foolish to blindly start shooting. A good bright tactical light can blind the BG. I have turned off the lights to see what I am up against in the dark. In very dark conditions, you will need a light. Huge difference. The lasers and night sights dont do you that much good. A laser does not give enough light to see what or who you are aiming at. In dim light conditions, the lasers and night sights do work. I also found out that a muzzle brake will blind you.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I would want a light in hd situations. But I'm more interested about placement. Mount it on the forearm or on something solid like extinction tube or barrel. Our on the forearm.

Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 02-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #8

I have mine on the extension tube. Works well for me.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #9

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I have a light on my defense shotgun. It has a momentary switch, to me that is a required piece of equipment. You may give yourself away using a light just as you may give yourself away making noise moving through your house. You should know your house better than anyone else, use that knowledge to your advantage.

One technique for using supplemental lights in home defense/self defense situations is [B]indirect[B lighting. This is where you use the peripheral part of the beam coming from your light to guide you. There are several positives for this technique. First, if you avoid looking at the most brightly lit area you affect your night vision capability less. Secondly, you can disguise where you are if someone is observing the light beam. The process looks like this: use the light only intermittently, do a quick spot check of corners, furniture, etc., where a person may seek to avoid being seen, you should know these places, it is your house! When using the light only turn it on for a few seconds at most, just enough time to get a handle on where you are, obstacles that may be there, such as shoes left out, kid's toys, etc., and to spot things that are abnormal, curtains pulled away, broken glass, door ajar, wet or muddy tracks on the floor. You can move from place of cover/concealment to another place in this fashion without illuming youself and your direction of travel. Shine the light to the side or even somewhat behind you if it has a broad enough beam. It doesn't have to be exceptionally bright unless you have extreme difficulties with night vision. This method of intermittent lighting, varying the spot the light is shining on and varying the beam's angle can disguise where you are to someone observing the light. When or if you come upon a target you have the ability to positively identify it, and make a good hit.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 02-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So from that last post I get the it doesn't matter where it is as long as you know how to use the light?

Springfield XDS .45acp