Questions about barrel interchangability
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Questions about barrel interchangability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 04:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Questions about barrel interchangability

If i get a mossberg 500 mariner 9-shot(20" barrel) or a remington marine magnum(18" barrel) can i put a 26" field barrel on those even though they both have the extended mags?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-27-2009, 03:29 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ok, I'm just starting to learn about shotguns, so take my advice with a pound of salt.

I've got an extended magazine on my Remington 870 and it doesn't interfere with barrel swaping at all. I've been playing around with both the 20" and 26" barrels.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 10-31-2009, 09:31 AM   #3

Yes, you can, at least with the remington, but what would be the point of doing such a thing? Doesn't that defeat the point of buying one in the in the first place?

"the tree of liberty has to be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants...."

"on the seventh day god created the model 700 for killing dinosaurs."

Old 10-31-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
TxG

You cannot put a field barrel on the Mossberg with the extended 9 shot mag unless you go to the trouble of changing out the entire mag tube for their shorter version.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:28 AM   #5
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2018 Times on 1181 Posts
Likes Given: 4293

I was going to do it with my 18" Remington 870, went to Sportman's Warehouse and the cost for a barrel 28" is too much, purchased another 870 28" for sixty dollars more!

Old 11-02-2009, 04:53 AM   #6

If you're looking to make a Remington Marine Magnum w/ a 18" barrel
a dual purpose shotgun- you can, easily. The barrels change out on Remingtons very easily. As far as the shot extension, you will only have to
remove the support clamp. Then reinstall the clamp after the longer barrel has been put into place.

I don't own any Mossberg shotguns, so hopefully someone else can help you with the Mossberg 500 questions.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #7

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Mossberg barrels cannot be swapped out as easily as the Remington. On the Mossy, the barrel nut assembly is fixed to the end of the barrel and cannot be relocated. To install a longer barrel you will need to change the mag tube so that it lines up with the end of the barrel.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington