Question about choke tubes
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Question about choke tubes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Question about choke tubes

Hi Friends, Hope everyone had a great Christmas! Got a Maverick 88 for Christmas. Comes with a mod. choke. I'm new to shotguns, and plan to hunt jack rabbits (tuff little boogers). Questions: Can I shoot steel shot through the choke that came with the 88? What choke and shot size would be best for rabbits (6 to 8 pounds)? Read a forum that a guy said a Mod. choke with #4 shot worked great on his neighbors cat (Ha). Thanks, Bernie

It's not the amount of breaths we take in life, but the moments that take our breaths that count.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Why would you want to use steel shot when it is less effective than lead? As far as is it safe? Read the owners manual. Most modern shotguns are made to be compatible with non-toxic shot. Shot size depends on size of teh game and range. Larger game or longer ranges = larger shot. Rabbits at 10 feet do not require anything larger than #9. Shot size goes up as range lengthens.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-29-2011, 01:41 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

agree completely with robocop10mm...

Old 12-31-2011, 02:00 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Why would you want to use steel shot when it is less effective than lead? As far as is it safe? Read the owners manual. Most modern shotguns are made to be compatible with non-toxic shot. Shot size depends on size of teh game and range. Larger game or longer ranges = larger shot. Rabbits at 10 feet do not require anything larger than #9. Shot size goes up as range lengthens.
I know what my owners manual says, but it's been my experience that savvy shooters (like you) can give me tips that make my shooting experience more fun and productive. In the prairie of New Mexico I seldom, if ever, get a shot at a bunny at 10 feet. Most of the time it's more like 30 to 50 yards. With that in mind, what choke & shot size would you use? Thanks, Bernie

It's not the amount of breaths we take in life, but the moments that take our breaths that count.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:10 PM   #5

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I always used buck shot from an improved cylinder, with shots averaging usually around 20 yards.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:31 AM   #6

Liked 257 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Your Maverick should be the same as a Mossberg 500 choke tube wise.

The Mossberg "accuchoke" is the same as the Winchester "winchoke", Browning "Invector" and Weatherby choke tubes.
They are rather short (compared to Remington's "Remchoke" or Mossberg 835 "Accumag" chokes).

In flush fit (even with the muzzle) they are for lead shot.

To shoot steel in a M88 or M500 they make "accusteel" choke tubes that run a little longer, extend past the muzzle and lessen stress on the threaded region of the choketube/bbl.

Jackrabbits at distance (never shot one) I'd expect full choke and #4 shot at a minimum. Heck, most guys here run #4 buck on yotes, might be good for jacks too (if we had them- Indiana). At least then you'd have enough oomph for either

Old 01-02-2012, 05:35 AM   #7

Liked 257 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I'd steer clear of steel.
I haven't tried any Black Cloud or Blindside stuff, but in dove and goose fields I have found regular round pellet steel stuff to flat out suck.
It might be cheaper than bismuth or other stuff, but I HATE wounding birds.
If the Blindside doesn't show substantial improvement I'll either give up goose hunting or use only bi$muth.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:13 AM   #8

Your gun should be ok for steel, just don't go any tighter than modified. Use at least one shot size larger for steel than with lead. For the jack rabbits you want to hunt, use #4 lead w/ a full choke and if you are in an area that requires steel, use #2 w/ modified or improved cylinder.
cottontop

Old 10-26-2013, 05:09 AM   #9

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Most shotgun-shells have a plastic-cup that holds the lead or steel shot.so I don't think it makes a different's if it's steel or lead,because the shot never touch's the barrel from what I see....????......

Old 10-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #10

Liked 2502 Times on 1627 Posts

The op hasn't posted on this forum since Sept 2012

Feral cat waterboarder