Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Question about buying a used shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question about buying a used shotgun

I have minimal experience buying used guns, and am hoping there are some folks on here that can offer me some advice and suggestions on a potential purchase.

The shotgun in question is a Maverick Model 88 with a black finish.

I am about to head out the range to make sure it functions properly, but the question I have is in regards to the cosmetics. It has small spots of very superficial rust in many places. How big of a deal is this? If I buy it is there a way to clean it off without refinishing it?

Does anyone have any experience with this brand?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Joe

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8308 Times on 3590 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

IF the shotgun in question was a Merkel, Purdy, Holland & Holland- YES- it WOULD be a big deal. But those are collector guns worth more than my HOUSE!

For light surface rust, wet down good with a decent gun oil (Remoil works) let soak, and rub with a soft, clean cotton cloth. You can get more aggressive with 0000 steel or brass wool, and light oil. A really stubborn spot of rust- find an older COPPER penny (new ones are copper plated zinc) and use the edge of the penny to scrub LIGHTLY. Follow up with oil/cloth.

For times you need a penetrating oil, 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF (automatic transmission fluid) apply, let set, buff with cloth. Careful- is flammable.

There is also a polish called FLITZ that can be used on light rust without screwing up the blue. But remember bluing is a thin layer of black iron oxide- anything used too enthusiastically will buff away that thin layer.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I will guess you will get better suggestions than this, but this is what I have done with my guns in the past, has worked pretty good.
1st try light gun oil and a rag, might clean it up good enough.
2nd light gun oil and rub lightly with wadded up tin foil.
3rd light gun oil and rub lightly with fine steel wool or 3M cloth, do not rub to hard or long as you will wear thru the blueing. Happens fast!! I know!

Old 04-11-2009, 12:18 AM   #4

Thanks for the helpful info. I will buy it and clean it up.

With money being so tight and firearms getting more expensive I am glad to hear that it's okay to buy it.

Thanks again.

Joe

Old 04-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2547 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

+1 on the 0000 steel wool. Use it very wet. The rust you are removing is more abrasive than the wool so keeping it flushed away is very important. I use gun solvent to wet the wool. For stubborn small spots, try a pencil. The point of graphite can remove and displace the rust in small pits.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-15-2009, 03:29 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool View Post

Does anyone have any experience with this brand?

Joe
Yes I bought one for the wife and see loves it. It is a good firearm that will not set your wallett on fire. Here is hers