Question about 12 gauge - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Question about 12 gauge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The shells in the ammo can should be fine. The biggest thing to watch with ammo is moisture and severe temp changes. If they have been dry, stored in a relatively level temp, they will last longer then you. If they show no corrosion around the brass or primer I would say they're OK to shoot. That is assuming they are all plastic and not paper hulls. The old paper hulls can be fired but don't usually hold up like the plastic and should be looked at a little more closely prior to firing.
Not trying to insult you.....The 6 is the size of the shot and if they are the same length as the 2 3/4 shells you have the box for you'll be fine.

Here is a chart on shot size.
Shotgun Ammo and more Shotgun Ammo! ShotgunWorld.com is Your Best Source for Shotgun Info on shotgun ammo.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-17-2009, 08:28 PM   #12

No insult taken, I am here to learn. I know safety, and how to shoot, but the technical aspects of ammo, chokes, etc, I am not clear on Thank you for your help!

Old 08-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #13

I went and had some pictures developed today of my guns. This is a picture of the shotgun, just for added clarity (thanks again for your help guys!)Question about 12 gauge - General Shotgun Discussion

Old 08-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3450 Times on 1775 Posts
Likes Given: 372

The Savage 720 is essentially a copy of the Browning A-5. Most literature explaining the A-5 will apply to the 720. Full choke was very common in this era (40's - 50's). These are quality firearms rated for modern ammo. Patterns will be tight. For home defense uses it really does not matter much what size shot you use. At ranges of 15-20 feet any 12 ga round will make a hole in the target fist size or smaller. Because of the tight choke, you will have to aim like a rifle. Buck shot will not hurt it. Slugs are not a very good idea as they must be swaged down in the choke and pressures can spike.

It does not appear to be in the kind of condition a serious collector would be interested in so it is not particularly valuable. The barrel can be cut down to 18 or 20" and this will eliminate the choke. You will have a barrel that is essentially "cylinder bore" or non choked. This set up is more desireable for home defense. The only real issue is the front sight bead base would hve to be removed and silver soldered on the barrel after cutting. The high receiver neccesitated the use of the raised bead common on these shotguns.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The Savage 720 is essentially a copy of the Browning A-5. Most literature explaining the A-5 will apply to the 720. Full choke was very common in this era (40's - 50's). These are quality firearms rated for modern ammo. Patterns will be tight. For home defense uses it really does not matter much what size shot you use. At ranges of 15-20 feet any 12 ga round will make a hole in the target fist size or smaller. Because of the tight choke, you will have to aim like a rifle. Buck shot will not hurt it. Slugs are not a very good idea as they must be swaged down in the choke and pressures can spike.

It does not appear to be in the kind of condition a serious collector would be interested in so it is not particularly valuable. The barrel can be cut down to 18 or 20" and this will eliminate the choke. You will have a barrel that is essentially "cylinder bore" or non choked. This set up is more desireable for home defense. The only real issue is the front sight bead base would hve to be removed and silver soldered on the barrel after cutting. The high receiver neccesitated the use of the raised bead common on these shotguns.
+10
Anything except slugs are safe to shoot through it. If you cut the barrel as Robo mentioned, then slugs would be fine to shoot through it. Depends on what your main purpose you'll use this shotgun for, take your pick. Nice gun!

S.S.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maveou View Post
Hi guys. First post here, I'll try to give as much information as possible. I inherited a 12 gauge shotgun from my father after he passed, and took it to a local gun shop to have the guy tell me if it was safe to shoot. He said it was, I believe, a full choke, and I shouldn't shoot 00 buck out of it, because it could blow the barrel. He said I could have it modified, but I don't recall much about that. My now ex-boyfriend then took it, disregarding the advice given at the gun shop and fired it a few times with 00 buck and bird shot. It did fine, and it kicked hard. It is a Savage Automatic (We thought it was a Browning) On the rubber edged butt of the gun it says "White Line Pachmaur Gun Works" .. I have no idea guys. Young lady (27) here, just trying to make sure that I don't go getting myself if I was forced to use it. I have a Davis p-380 but have recently learned the firing pins can go bad, break and cause critical injury or death if fired, so I am wanting to depend on this shotgun. Maybe buy a new one? Thank you for any help, and sorry to take your time.
Your 720 and Remington model 11 (among others)are a Browning patent copy of the famous A5 . Most parts are not interchangable though. The operation is the same however.

00 buck is ok to shoot, but never shoot steel shot or you with ruin the barrel.

You need to check the friction ring setup on the gun since it is a recoil (not gas) operated design. If it kicks hard it may be due to improper settings of these rings. The excessive recoil may also damage the gun and break the forend which is very thin at the bottom edge.

Here is a link to properly set the rings. Do this and you should be fine. Set your rings to the "heavy loads" setting when shooting 00 buck or any "high brass" shell. Go to the "light loads" setting when shooting light game (low brass) or trap type loads. Use very little to no oil on the magazine tube since excess oil will defeat the purpose of the friction rings too causing excess recoil and battering of the internals of the gun.

If you a betting your life on this gun get the proper ammo and ring settings. Also, since it is a recoil operated weapon you need to have it firmly against yor shoulder in order for it to cycle properly. I you "John Wayne", or shoot from the hip it may not properly eject the empty hull causing a jam. Not the ideal situation when your life is on the line.

I would suggest getting "Daddy's Gun" working properly for recreational use ,but for HD (home defense) buy a cheap pump (Remngton 870, Mossberg 590).

I hope this helps.

Remington Model 11

Last edited by YJGUY; 09-04-2009 at 12:47 AM. Reason: forgot stuff