Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Question about 12 gauge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question about 12 gauge

Hi guys. First post here, I'll try to give as much information as possible. I inherited a 12 gauge shotgun from my father after he passed, and took it to a local gun shop to have the guy tell me if it was safe to shoot. He said it was, I believe, a full choke, and I shouldn't shoot 00 buck out of it, because it could blow the barrel. He said I could have it modified, but I don't recall much about that. My now ex-boyfriend then took it, disregarding the advice given at the gun shop and fired it a few times with 00 buck and bird shot. It did fine, and it kicked hard. It is a Savage Automatic (We thought it was a Browning) On the rubber edged butt of the gun it says "White Line Pachmaur Gun Works" .. I have no idea guys. Young lady (27) here, just trying to make sure that I don't go getting myself if I was forced to use it. I have a Davis p-380 but have recently learned the firing pins can go bad, break and cause critical injury or death if fired, so I am wanting to depend on this shotgun. Maybe buy a new one? Thank you for any help, and sorry to take your time.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Welcome to the community. I'm sorry I can't be of much help with the shotgun although, I'm not aware that shooting buckshot thru a full choke is harmful in anyway. That's lead shot though, steel is a different animal and I have very little knowledge of it. Someone here will be able to help you more with your questions.
Stop in the introduction area and let everyone know you're here.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

First Off, welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.

From your description, some pictures would help, it sounds like you have something similiar to a Savage 720.

The "White Lines" Pachmyer Gun Works" is the brand of aftermarket, recoil reducing butt pad to make the weapon easier to shoot and not as punishing. I believe a lot of the early Savage shotguns came with a steel buttpad, which offered no recoil dampening effects.

As to whether the weapon is safe to use, that would depend on you. Are you comfortable with the weapon? Can you shoot it safely and do you feel that you are in control of the weapon?

As for the choke situation, and what rounds to use, I am going to defer to some of the regular shotgun shooters around here, as that is not really my area of expertise and I would hate to steer you wrong.

Welcome to the Forum - Stop by the Introduction Threads and announce yourself. We have a great community here and everyone will be happy to have a new member.

JD

Old 08-17-2009, 05:06 PM   #4

Thank you for your help! Yes, I am comfortable firing this shotgun, as long as I can get a definitive answer on the buckshot/choke question. A year or so ago I had high tensions of goings-on in the surrounding area, and figured, if it came down do it I'd guess I'd have to find out the hard way. The guy at the shop kind of scared me when he told me the barrel would explode and kill me. As for the picture, yes, that is my shotgun. I didn't want to modify the barrel because I wanted to keep it as my Daddy had it. (If I'm not mistaken in what I think I heard from the gun shop guy)

Old 08-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Okay, so we got a kind of old Savage 720, or there abouts, and it has a full choke on it.

Shotgun Guys, get in here and impart some wisdom please. I don't want to speak out of turn.

I would assume the choke can be removed, perhaps with a key or a choke tube wrench, and that would allow you to shoot just about anything, but I am not familiar with the model at all.

Let's give the guys the next 8 or so hours and the knowledge should come pouring in....

JD

Old 08-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm not sure the 720 has removable chokes. Look at the end of the barrel, please make sure the weapon is empty first. If it has a removable choke there should be two small notches, possibly 4 on the end, that is your choke. As JD mentioned, there is a choke tool but I'm sure you have a quarter laying around somewhere and it will do nicely. Simply put the quarter in the slots, turn counter clockwise and the choke should come out.
If there is not a notch of some sort there you cannot change chokes without taking the barrel to a gunsmith.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

You could compromise & just use some #4 or #6 shot rather than the buckshot. I'd bet my life on either (#4 or #6) stopping an intruder at inside-the-house ranges. They have more & smaller bb's than buckshot does. The first shot in my shotgun is a target load that would be about like a #7.5 shot.

Alternatively, you might be able to find a shorter, less choked barrel, but i'm not familiar with that model myself. I also am not into autoloading shotguns, just pumps.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:21 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I used buckshot for years in a full choke gun,it is what you want when deer hunting to keep a tight pattern. I am sure a gun that old has a fixed choke without the removable ones. Shoot it and enjoy,they make reduced recoil shells in buckshot which would be easier on the shoulder,2 3/4 inch shells will kick less than 3 inch shells,not sure which size you were using but your gun may shoot both sizes,some do some do not. Any questions just ask.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #9

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

You can use 00Buck in a full choke. You cannot use slugs though. For a defense load, I would use #4 Buckshot. Less worry about interior and exterior walls and is devastating on tissue. Makes for a good stopper.........

Jim.....................

Old 08-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #10

Thank you for your replies and time. No, this does not have a removable choke. I have an artillery can full of old unshot shells, are they still usable? I do have 1 box, Winchester 2 3/4 shells (7 1/2 shot) Light Target Load shells.. and the others inside are unboxed.. they say 6 (Winchester Super-x? Lettering is faded). I only have a couple of 00 shells, which I've fired some of previously, and -wow- .. The recoil does not bother me, I actually prefer it. Also, for safety's sake, would the loose shells in the artillery box would have to be bashed around before they'd go off, or is it rather dangerous to have them loose? They are not regularly moved.
Thank you again for your help guys, it is most appreciated.