Pump vs. Semi-auto - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Pump vs. Semi-auto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 12:59 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
semi auto shotguns can be tempermental in switching weight of the shell this is mainly in gas operated models. can be a pita.

my personal preference is double barrel or pump. i just dont like the aggrevation factor of semi auto shotguns. mainly cuz im not really a fan of shotguns in general. so not a lot of effort is put into the intricacies. i just want it to work the few times a year i bring one out of the gun safe.
This^^^^^
I also prefer a pump, just because I've seen many auto loaders jam.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:42 AM   #22

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Default shotgun

Imo ,with modern ,well taken care of guns, one has no advantage over the other ,other than the shooters experiance with either type gun .That being said ,the pump would be a better gun to start a young shooter out on to teach control ,discipline....as well as save some shells. I hunt with both a rem 870 and a win super x 2.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:02 AM   #23

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3482 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have one of the best semi's on the market, the FN SLP, and recently during the Zombie Invasion of 2011, I had (2) seperate FTF issues that required battlefield assessment.

Having said that, I have put about 150 rounds through it and had (2) issues using (3) types of brand new ammo that I have not used before.

The Mossy 500 or the Remmy 870 are EASY to work on. Anyone can do it with a simple disassembly and just viewing the shape and size of the parts. That is a HUGE plus.

Both the 870 and the 500 have a HUGE aftermarket that makes customization much easier for the "average" user.

If you don't practice with the weapon on a very regular basis, meaning realistic training with FTF and FTE, then get the pump and don't look back until you spend A LOT of time with it.

Trust me on this.

JD

Old 04-27-2011, 03:06 AM   #24

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Personally I prefer....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 04-27-2011, 03:24 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 605

I'd think the argument between semi and pump/lever/bolt would be what you have in mind for it for and what you are just plain comfortable with. I've never personally owned a semi and probably wont just because I'm an old fudd and comfortable with a pump. I've shot quite a few from the old Rem M11 to a Saiga. Fun to dump bird shot through at the range. My head and hands fit a pump better than a semi I guess.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #26

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Pump for me

I'll take a pump over a semi auto shotgun any day. Semi's are fun to shoot, but when the SHTF I want the reliability of a pump.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:29 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo45 View Post
I'll take a pump over a semi auto shotgun any day. Semi's are fun to shoot, but when the SHTF I want the reliability of a pump.
I second that. My semi auto is a blast to shoot, but you got to love the reliability of a pump.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:35 AM   #28

If all you shoot is a semi auto you will get to use to it and will forget to pump a pump shotgun when you do shoot it.This happend to my uncle and he cant shoot a pump anymore.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:48 AM   #29

I perfer the pump shot gun, it is just more fun to shot...

The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-03-2011, 01:51 AM   #30

Liked 194 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 316

I own a Browning Gold Hunter semi auto and a Browning BPS pump both 12ga.

I use both of them heavily for clay target shooting

NEVER had a malfunction with the pump...

Browning Gold Hunter is a fine semi auto BUT other semis that I've shot have done the same.... Once it gets cold ( round 10 degrees or so), the gas does not have enough expansion pressure to chamber another round. If you do not properly maintain the gas port, not enough gas will get through to work the action....If you use loads that are too light, they will not cycle the action...

that and the given manufacturing standard that less moving parts means lower chance of failure......the pump sounds pretty good.