Pump vs. Semi-auto - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Pump vs. Semi-auto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Something you don't think of to start with but a pump is cheaper to fix if/when it does fail to function. I had a Remington 870 that stopped ejecting the spend hulls. I got it back from the gunsmith for 35 dollars. I don't think you can do that with an auto but I may be wrong. Would seem the fewer parts mentioned earlier had a hand in the cheap fix. That plus an honest smith! I was prepare to spend as much as a 100 bucks.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 04-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #12

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZaHut View Post
Are there any advantages to a pump over semi-auto? Obviously, semi-autos can fire quicker. I have also heard they have less recoil because they put some energy into chambering the next round. And let's exclude the "pump-action sound can scare away home invaders" argument.
With all due respect some of the comments agains autos I've read here are a bit dated. Modern autos are easily as reliable as any pump out there. Even the very cost effective Stoeger 2000 is a heck of a gun and the exmple I owned ran flawlessly with everything from trap loads to turkey and waterfowl loads for 5 years straight without me cleaning it once (I just oiled it every time I went out). I treated it this way because it wanted to see what it would take to make the gun stop working. The answer was that it just never did.

My old 1100s and Brownig A5 can be a little picky if not maintained right but I'll keep them because they've been in the family for a while and I love them, but when I head out the door and need 100% I grab my Beretta 391 Teknys and never look back.

Like someone pointed out with a modern design and modern lubricants there is no reason why an auto should not work as advertised 100% of the time.

As far as "less recoil" it depends. The gas guns like the Beretta do have a little less punch, but the inertia models like the Stoeger and Benelli hit you about the same.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli700 View Post
For me its easyer to transition to a slug with a pump
Not trying to be contentious, just wondering why? The way I see it you insert the slug into the magazine and rack the bolt or eject the shell in the chamber and clear the chamber of the next shell and throw the slug in there for either gun. Actually many auto guns have a mag cutoff that allows you to eject the round in the chamber without the next one in the mag coming out. Not sure how it would be different/easier...

Old 04-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #14

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I go right for the chamber with the first slug. So if I have a fully loaded pump I simply open the chamber ejecting the chambered round, turn the gun over and the round in the lifter falls out of the ejection port. Throw a slug in the chamber and slam the action shut all in the same motion , index another slug and put it in the mag tube, now you have two slugs ready all done from the shoulder in firing position. Quicker than it sounds. Even if the gun is not full I go right for the chamber to cut out the middle man. I didnt really take this tread as a pissing mach between pump and auto I just simply stated one reason I like pumps…I have auto and like it too
So what you are saying is you can transition to a slug easier or just as easy with a semi , one hand being tied up holding the bolt back? Or cycle the bolt, put a shell in the mag, cycle the bolt again to load the slug and then put another shell in the mag tube? I might be able to from the shoulder with a Galil style bolt handle but still wouldn’t be as efficient FOR ME

Old 04-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #15

Quote:
I go right for the chamber with the first slug. So if I have a fully loaded pump I simply open the chamber ejecting the chambered round, turn the gun over and the round in the lifter falls out of the ejection port. Throw a slug in the chamber and slam the action shut all in the same motion , index another slug and put it in the mag tube, now you have two slugs ready all done from the shoulder in firing position. Quicker than it sounds. Even if the gun is not full I go right for the chamber to cut out the middle man. I didnt really take this tread as a pissing mach between pump and auto I just simply stated one reason I like pumps…I have auto and like it too
So what you are saying is you can transition to a slug easier or just as easy with a semi , one hand being tied up holding the bolt back? Or cycle the bolt, put a shell in the mag, cycle the bolt again to load the slug and then put another shell in the mag tube? I might be able to from the shoulder with a Galil style bolt handle but still wouldn’t be as efficient FOR ME
Never meant for it to be a pissing match either, just asking. Every auto I have has some way of holding an open bolt so for a full gun if I need to change ammo I just eject the shell in the chamber while locking the bolt back, thow the needed round in a release the bolt. Simple enough but I agree there is one less step with a pump. Cheers!

Old 04-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #16

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Nope, no advantages with a pump.

Get a semi.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
Never meant for it to be a pissing match either, just asking. Every auto I have has some way of holding an open bolt so for a full gun if I need to change ammo I just eject the shell in the chamber while locking the bolt back, thow the needed round in a release the bolt. Simple enough but I agree there is one less step with a pump. Cheers!
Ahh, my auto wont hold the bolt back untill the last shot ..Cheers back

Last edited by oli700; 04-24-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Nope, no advantages with a pump.

Get a semi.
Now that’s some solid advice, virtual fountain of information! Thanks for the contribution

Old 04-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

the only things I like about pumps most of the time there cheaper, less moving parts, are few of the old semi autos kick like mules.

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 04-24-2011, 11:49 PM   #20

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Now that’s some solid advice, virtual fountain of information! Thanks for the contribution
Hey, the OP obviously wants a semi.

Very obviously, pumps are simpler, cheaper, lighter, and less prone to breakdown.

Who are we to piss on his parade? What are we supposed to say here?

"Well, the kanootin' pin on a semi shows wear after 500 rounds of magnum,

and their inventor's mom wore army boots."...?

Fine, screw it, yanno what, OP? Get a pump.

Last edited by therewolf; 04-24-2011 at 11:56 PM.