Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Pump vs. over/under

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #11
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 155 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 182

Oh yea – Home Defense, two entirely different categories, you can find some kind of a common denominator in clay shooting but Home Defense is a different topic. With that said, in the event on a home invasion and a shotgun is your go-to gun, grab whatever Shotgun you have.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #12

Liked 1016 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 346

I have noticed posters mentioning that an over under is much faster than a pump. We have a female shooter in our club that can throw 5 clays in the air and bust them all before they hit the round. We have a fellow that is bumping 70...We don't know how old he is...All we know about his age is he was the 2012 national over 65 champion. He can throw 7 clays in the air and bust them all before they hit the ground. I can throw 3 clays in the air and hit two of them sometimes.

If anyone lives in the Nashville, NC area who wants shotgun lessons for their wife our female shooter is very good with women. She is a sporting clay champ and she is planning to make a run at a national championship. We have 3 shooters at our club that have won national championships at some point in their life. One shooter who was a an Olympic team coach. We have two young shooters that are planning a national championship run.

The rest of us shoot sporting clays and skeet to prepare for hunting or the joy of the game. The only time we get serious is when the "Sir Walter Rowdies" are visiting. They all are great fellows and have a nice facility. I would rather get kicked in the cods by a mule than lose a match to a Rowdy.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #13

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts

You said you were looking for a cheap shotgun, therefore I'd go with a pump. The double barreled shotguns are an investment.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #14
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1042 Times on 672 Posts
Likes Given: 5349

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
You can get a Mossberg 500 combo with a 28" barrel and a 18.5" security barrel for the cost of an 870 express. At this point you are not prepared to lay out $2,500 or more for a decent double barrel when you might quit shooting skeet and trap in six months. Don't settle for a pump with a security type barrel even if it has screw in chokes. You need as much sight plane as you can get. If expert skeet shooters feel the need for a 30" barrel you will not do better with a 20" barrel.

Don't cheap out on a double barrel. The minimum double barrel you should consider is a graded Browning with a 30" barrel. Unless you can find a stevens made in the 60's a cheap double barrel is not going to have the balance of a well made skeet gun.
Good call on the Stevens Doubles JD. I have a Stevens Springfield that was my grandfather's go to bird gun that has, over the years, earned it's place as my go to bird and clays shotgun. She may only be worth about $350, but there is no amount of money that will ever make me part with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I have noticed posters mentioning that an over under is much faster than a pump. We have a female shooter in our club that can throw 5 clays in the air and bust them all before they hit the round. We have a fellow that is bumping 70...We don't know how old he is...All we know about his age is he was the 2012 national over 65 champion. He can throw 7 clays in the air and bust them all before they hit the ground. I can throw 3 clays in the air and hit two of them sometimes.

If anyone lives in the Nashville, NC area who wants shotgun lessons for their wife our female shooter is very good with women. She is a sporting clay champ and she is planning to make a run at a national championship. We have 3 shooters at our club that have won national championships at some point in their life. One shooter who was a an Olympic team coach. We have two young shooters that are planning a national championship run.

The rest of us shoot sporting clays and skeet to prepare for hunting or the joy of the game. The only time we get serious is when the "Sir Walter Rowdies" are visiting. They all are great fellows and have a nice facility. I would rather get kicked in the cods by a mule than lose a match to a Rowdy.
To all those who say a double is faster than a pump: Google Tom Knapp and Herb Parsons. A person who trains with a pump can oftentimes empty it faster and mor accurately than most folks can an autoloader. I will agree that an untrained person will get a second shot faster with a 2 triggered double than a pump, but 2 trained individuals and it becomes a damn close race.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 01-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #15

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

Default Pump vs. over/under

Thanks for all the input everyone, this has been pretty interesting so far!

It sounds like the common theme is that everyone agrees that a pump is pretty good all around where as an O/U is supreme for clays but not good for much else.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:22 PM   #16

Liked 102 Times on 78 Posts

When you throw in the budget requirement, a pump is the only good option. You can get a VERY good pump for a whole lot less than a decent O/U. A cheap O/U is a poor choice. 870's have probably killed more clay pigeons than most other guns combined.

What could have happened... did.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:28 AM   #17

Liked 1016 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
When you throw in the budget requirement, a pump is the only good option. You can get a VERY good pump for a whole lot less than a decent O/U. A cheap O/U is a poor choice. 870's have probably killed more clay pigeons than most other guns combined.
There was a time that the 870 wingmaster was one of the most popular guns on any skeet range. Most people that were raised shooting a pump now won't have anything to do with a range. They would rather buy a spring trap and pay a neighborhood kid the range fees to load the trap and cock the throwing arm.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:36 AM   #18
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 794 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I posted earlier in this thread about my friend who shot the mossburg until it fell apart. When shooting doubles with it he consistently got his second shots off faster than the automatics and most of the doubles. No matter how fast your action is you can't make your second shot until you acquire your second target over the sights. He excels at acquiring the second target faster than the competition.

When the boys of his family were a certain age (I forget what age) they were given a single shot shotgun for Christmas and taken dear hunting the following season, and every season thereafter. They would hunt with 3 extra shells between the fingers of their left hand for quick reloads. They learned quick to be both fast AND accurate.

A good pump action will meet all of your needs, I am partial to the 870 but that is because that is what I came up on. There are other pumps out there that will serve you as well. 2 barrels, 1 for trap and 1 for home defense both with screw in chokes would be the best setup but a trap barrel will take out a bad guy just as well.