Pump v. Semi auto - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Pump v. Semi auto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 03:25 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Buy an 870 (yuck) if you want it to shoot Trap. Don't buy it TO shoot Trap -- no, you don't need it.
a true 870 wingmaster trap gun is more than most need(not talking express guns here) most guns set up to shoot ata trap are single shot anyway

Old 05-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 251 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydewar View Post
a true 870 wingmaster trap gun is more than most need(not talking express guns here) most guns set up to shoot ata trap are single shot anyway
I have always wanted an 870 Trap gun w the engraving & high comb. Just couldn't rationalize the expense.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #23

Liked 257 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Want supersedes need.
Things don't get cheaper by putting them off.
If you've always wanted one, get it.
Regret sucks.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #24

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

For me its easier to transition to a slug with a pump. It also shoots a wider variety of shells from very light target rounds, any reload, 2” shells. It is also easier to clear a shell that’s stuck in the chamber on a pump gun.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #25

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapshooter11 View Post
I have a Remington 1100 12 ga from trap shooting and was wondering if it is worth getting a pump such as the Remington 870. What do you like better semi auto or pump. If pump why and which pump do you suggest for trap?
It is more important to buy a TRAP GUN, than it is to buy a pump or auto in a field gun to do it. The reason for this is because Trap shotguns are designed to pattern high. This is because in Trap the targets are shot on the rise. By having the gun set up to pattern high, it gives a "built in" vertical lead necessary to hit the ascending target. If a Trap shooter waited until the target was at the apogee of it's flight, it would be too far out of range, (40 to 45 yards), to allow for consistent hits. A Trap gun allows you to stack the beads one on top of the other, and hold just under the target, firing as it ascends.

If you shoot Trap with a field gun, (what type does not matter), that patterns at point of aim, you have to cover the target to acquire the necessary vertical lead. Once you do that, you have no idea where the target is. This will cause a lot of dropped targets. This effect becomes even greater when you start shooting at handicap yardages, (17 to 27 yard line). Also, Trap guns are often equipped with very high vented rib barrels to further enhance this feature depending on the shooter, and what his handicap yardage is, along with his shooting style. It is not uncommon for AA Tournament ATA Trap Shooters to run 100 straight from the 27 yard line to win top tournaments. This would be all but impossible to achieve with a field gun.

Skeet guns are almost the exact opposite. They shoot point of aim much like field guns do, and have shorter barrels that are choked very loosely compared to the full chokes used by Trap shooters. The general consensus is Trap is easier to learn, but much tougher to master. The reason for this is in Trap you have no idea where the bird is going to go when you call for it. In Skeet you know exactly where the bird is coming from, and where it is going to go. Once you have figured out the established leads your pretty much good to go.

Skeet is always shot from the same distance, and from the same positions. The degree of difficulty is increased by shooting a smaller gauge shotgun. In Trap it is increased by increasing the distance handicap targets are shot from. A guy running 25 straight in Skeet with a .410 is the talent equivalent of a Trap Shooter running 25 straight from the 27 yard line. Either is no easy task, and takes years to achieve, and thousands of rounds.

Automatics and pumps have fallen out of favor in Trap over the years, being replaced by mostly single barrels, (Browning BT-99 type), and O/U's. One of the reasons is that most dedicated Trap shooters are avid reloaders. If you shoot doubles with an autoloader you'll not only lose your empties, but you will be ejecting them at the shooter to your right. O/U's and single barrels allow easy retrieval of your empties.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:55 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Bilt, how's the temp in AZ ? June, July & Aug - I don't miss.

On topic: skeet people call O/Us a $2,000 shell catcher. Autos are very popular w league shooters. People add weight to Mag cap or replace them to reduce recoil and help keep the barrels moving.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:01 AM   #27

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

I like pump just because of the sound it makes. Lol.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:11 AM   #28

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

I like a pump because you can force feed it hand loads, where an auto might spit them back out (cartridges should be run through a sizing die, but since I'm literally using scissors, a pair of pliers and a ratchet extention to load my shells, I'm glad I have my 870).

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 05-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #29

Liked 257 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I like my dad's 1100 trap for doves, but it's had the comb brought down to almost field dims.
I yank the little wire out of the ejection port when not shooting trap.
Used my 1100 magnum for trap many times, with a clip on the ejection port. Just a hunter guy, usually shoot 20 yards, never 100 straight, but I don't shoot much and avg 23 (+/- 1). Not a complete embarrassment.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
Want supersedes need.
Things don't get cheaper by putting them off.
If you've always wanted one, get it.
Regret sucks.
I like the way you think !