Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Pump v. Semi auto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 244 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Default Jamming Blues

Baretta 391 Urika - properly cleaned its perfect But in the dead of winter, I have had some problems. Everyone w autos did.

SKEET League:
Conditions: bitter cold, so people w shoot and then run for the warming huts. The guns w warm up and condensation (water) w form, when you go back into the freezing cold, the condensation w freeze and the guns w fail. Even O/Us had problems opening the actions. ( X<2 = Lost Bird)

Hindsight: an alcohol bath to remove all the old oil & grease until bone dry, then add the special oil they use in Alaska w probably have solved the problem but in the East Coast, CT, we rarely have these issues.

Under normal conditions, I can run up to 400-500 rds before having issues and if I keep it well lubed, even longer.

My Browning A500 was recoil operated, and that gun could fire dirty forever. It's just not as easy on the shoulder which is why I went w a gas gun.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 05-19-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Default Slam Firing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguns View Post
He was probably slam firing with the pump .22.
Not entirely sure what that is ? I have Rossi's copy of Win pump and you can hold the trigger down and the gun will fire as fast as you can pump the gun. If this is slam firing, yes - I can do it too but I can't seem to hit anything while I'm doing it.

I have a pump 22, 20 gauge, and 35 Rem. and while reasonably proficient, I am not one of the "pump people." their machine like efficiency achieves a rymthem that approaches an "art" form.

I have come to the conclusion that there are just some people who can maximize the potential of a weapon's platform. You can usually spot them on the range, they hit everything !

If you want to see what your stock gun is capable of (& your ego can handle it) just let them borrow it. LOL

Old 05-20-2012, 01:32 AM   #13

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
A semi will make it easier. Maybe at some point you want to switch to pump to challenge yourself a bit.
Huh? Please explain.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Was it properly maintained?

If it was, you had a defective weapon that needed to be returned to the factory to be repaired.
Com'on man -- r u really trying to tell folks on a shotgun forum that semi's are as reliable as pumps? Please think about your answer carefully before u lose all credibility. Forever.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:31 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5203 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 4434

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Com'on man -- r u really trying to tell folks on a shotgun forum that semi's are as reliable as pumps? Please think about your answer carefully before u lose all credibility. Forever.
I don't worry about my credilility. I have enough personal experience with both pump and sami-auto shotguns to know.

I doubt that you have anywhere near my experience.

Golda Meier.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I don't worry about my credilility. I have enough personal experience with both pump and sami-auto shotguns to know.

I doubt that you have anywhere near my experience.
I presume that means you are sticking to your claim that semi-autos are as reliable as pumps. You'll eventually try to qualify this I believe. Backpedal. But it is too late. Let's say for argument's sake you're right about the experience. It is meaningless if one doesn't learn (the correct lesson) from it.

Yeah, I think you just lost credibility re: shotguns (and probably the "experience" claim too).

Oh, and, did I mention forever?

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-20-2012 at 05:52 AM.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5203 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 4434

Quote:
I presume that means you are sticking to your claim that semi-autos are as reliable as pumps. You'll eventually try to qualify this I believe. Backpedal. But it is too late. Let's say for argument's sake you're right about the experience. It is meaningless if one doesn't learn (the correct lesson) from it.

Yeah, I think you just lost credibility re: shotguns (and probably the "experience" claim too).

Oh, and, did I mention forever?
If it makes you happy to believe old wive's tales, then by all means go ahead and believe them.

Golda Meier.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #18

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Semiautomatics have been as reliable as pumps in my experience. The most reliable shotgun I have ever had or been issued was a Savage over under 20/22. I've owned 2 1100s that have ran 100% while hunting and in 3Gun. I own an 870 that has been 100% for hunting. I was issued a 590 while deployed. The only shotgun that ever gave me problems was the 930 SPX when they first came out. Moss had problems with them at first. I should have just sent it in for repair because now I'm wanting another. I've heard issues w/ both semi and pump. For me reliability means it will do what I need every time. In most cases a semi will fill that role better than a pump. I need fast and ease of use w/ the fewest amount of steps. Hell the first 1100 was purchased in the late 80s and is going strong.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:56 AM   #19

Liked 142 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I've owned over a dozen different autos and a dozen different pumps, yeah that doesn't mean much............but of the thousands of shots fired through those rigs I've had 4 failures.

3 of them were in a single Mossberg 500 (purchased new). One gun, 3 fails.

Had 1 fail in one auto...........but that due to gumming up the mag tube, oiled in storage and forgot to wipe it off before a dove hunt. Was running a 1100 magnum with low brass dove loads...............and it ran fine until it gummed up. Wiped magtube off and it ran fine again.

My credibility must suck

Old 05-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #20

Liked 1038 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
Huh? Please explain.
Semi-auto's pump the gun for you, it's one less step to concern yourself with. I find I shoot more accurately on the second shot with a semi than a pump.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson