Pump v auto home defence - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Pump v auto home defence

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

When I shot skeet all the time I could shoot a pump so fast you couldn't count the shots. Trick shooters routinely shoot pumps so fast you can't count the shots. So the part about auto's being faster is a myth. That being said it takes a lot of practice to shoot aimed shots so quickly they can't be counted. When I was on top of my game I was shooting 800 rounds a week.

Really it comes down to what you are comfortable shooting. But the pump is a superior weapon it just takes a lot more practice. The average shooter need to shoot 200 rounds a month with a pump to keep his timing perfect. Skeet are in range of home defense guns and skeet are perfect practice for home defense. Try to shoot off spring traps at 35 mph. Shooting off air traps at 55 to 70 mph is not helpful for home defense nor are they fun for the uninitiated. Use AA #9 shot to boost your score. You only need to break the skeet, not kill it.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-02-2012 at 05:04 AM.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:29 AM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8283 Times on 4787 Posts
Likes Given: 10716

The sound of the bolt closing on a semi is an attention getter as well. Though to get it you have to have the bolt locked back with a shell ready to load. I have both pump and semi, both were well under $1000 (Mossy 500 and 795). Never had a failure on either one.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #13

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I dunno about you all but the click of a revolver locking up would scare me. I am perfectly happy with the number of holes god gave me.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #14

Liked 35 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
iv actually shot inside of a house both a shot gun and a handgun just to see the effects it would have on me,it was defening and the flash from the revolver i used could temporaly somwhat blind you.
i tried it because the house was on my familys property and was being tore down if you use a gun for home defense to me this is a good way to know what your going to experience.
my choice though is the pump just personal prefrence.
Thanks, guessed so!. Funny actually, I just came across a vid by James Yeager (sp), where he suggests active ear protectors or a suppressor to go with a HD gun, because like I thought, your hearing is obviously something you want to keep working in that kind of situation. One example he gave was being able to communicate with family members etc.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #15

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris

Tell us a good semi-auto 12-gauge that isn't $1000!
Stoeger M2000 or M3500

Old 10-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
Stoeger M2000 or M3500
Are these available with shorter "security" barrels? Would that affect their operation/cycling?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #17

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

Are these available with shorter "security" barrels? Would that affect their operation/cycling?
I know the M2000 is offered with an 18.5" and pistol grip. Not sure on the 3500. And I believe Mr Wray has the 2000 with a short barrel

Old 10-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #18

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemFire View Post
Thanks, guessed so!. Funny actually, I just came across a vid by James Yeager (sp), where he suggests active ear protectors or a suppressor to go with a HD gun, because like I thought, your hearing is obviously something you want to keep working in that kind of situation. One example he gave was being able to communicate with family members etc.
I can crack off a 3 shot burst in .5 of a second in a confined space it gives me confidence and that is what it is all about being confident with your chosen weapon.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2564 Times on 1252 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Davyboy,

Only some additional thoughts! Unless I have missed something regarding the state of the load of the shotgun. I was assuming from your comment that you were talking about the Semi-Auto Shotgun that has a round in the chamber. So with that we could assume that the pump gun was chambered also. If not we could presume you would have to pull the Charging Lever back on the Semi-Auto to load it first as you would have to Rack the Slide on the Pump Gun. In that case form experience I would have to say that I have had less loading issues with the pump comparing it to the Remington 870 Pump compared to that of the initial loading of the Semi-Auto Model 1100 and other Semis. The Charging Lever must be pulled completely to the rear and let go home on it's own. And we all know that when it comes to Murphy in a critical situation he is truly alive and well !! Realizing that ones fine motor skills goes out the window when in a life threatening situation. So the correct operation of the Charging Lever which in most cases are small and need to be operated with the fingers. (Fine Motor Skill is to use the fingers as well as locate the lever under stress and be sure you pull it back all the way smoothly and correctly.) could be an issue. The Pump Gun utilizes major muscle functions which normally work better in these situations. Then one other issue is that a person who has trained with his pump shotgun can usually make as many "accurate and controlled" shots as a person with a semi-auto due to recovery time needed to achieve an accurate and controlled shot after recoil. I guess it boils down to personal preference but just wanted to share some mind jogging thoughts.
By the way I like my Semi-Auto Shotguns also. I LIKE GUNS! I DO! I DO! I DO!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Davyboy Likes This 
Old 10-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #20

Liked 2202 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Which ever the shooter is most comfortable with. Run what ya brung and get familiar with keeping it running if you run into a problem.