Pump v auto home defence
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Pump v auto home defence

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default Pump v auto home defence

The sound of reloading a pump is awesome and IMHO lulls people into a false sense of security. It can take just over a second to cross a 20ft room. Take into account reaction time you would be lucky to get off 1 shot with a pump. A good modern reliable auto would increase fire power to up to 5. Purists may spout reliability and maybe 50 years ago that may have been an argument. Given the miss fire rate of most modern semi auto shotguns give me auto every time. Comments and opinions please.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 779 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy
The sound of reloading a pump is awesome and IMHO lulls people into a false sense of security.
The first sound is the first shot a sound that is awesome and final. Then comes the sound of reloading. And as awesome as that is only you can hear it.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Last edited by winds-of-change; 10-06-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Biohazurd Likes This 
Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #3

Liked 142 Times on 109 Posts

The only sound an intruder might hear from me would be the click of the safety. I would have no trouble with a semi or a pump or a SxS. I do not expect a truckload of zombies. One shot, one kill.

What could have happened... did.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #4

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Speed and fire power is what I am talking about

Old 10-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
The first sound is the first shot a sound that is awesome and final. Then comes the sound of reloading. And as awesome as that is only you can hear it.

Well, probably not actually, I've never tried firing a shotgun in a house, but from shooting near buildings and walls I'm guessing the blast of a shotgun in a small room is going to leave you pretty deaf for a minute or two?.

I sometimes wonder how that would work out for you in a situation where you need all your senses working A1. It would be ok if it was one shot - job done, but what if you miss first time?, what if there’s more than one threat?. But that’s another subject I guess.

One other thing for the semi, if you get shot in the arm at least you can still run the gun one handed pretty efficiently !.

I’ve got two semi’s but if things were bad enough to have one for home defense, I'd just be sure to keep it clean and loaded with good ammo, then I wouldn't worry to much about stoppages.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #6

Liked 427 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 1259

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemFire View Post
Well, probably not actually, I've never tried firing a shotgun in a house, but from shooting near buildings and walls I'm guessing the blast of a shotgun in a small room is going to leave you pretty deaf for a minute or two?.

I sometimes wonder how that would work out for you in a situation where you need all your senses working A1. It would be ok if it was one shot - job done, but what if you miss first time?, what if there’s more than one threat?. But that’s another subject I guess.

One other thing for the semi, if you get shot in the arm at least you can still run the gun one handed pretty efficiently !.

I’ve got two semi’s but if things were bad enough to have one for home defense, I'd just be sure to keep it clean and loaded with good ammo, then I wouldn't worry to much about stoppages.
iv actually shot inside of a house both a shot gun and a handgun just to see the effects it would have on me,it was defening and the flash from the revolver i used could temporaly somwhat blind you.
i tried it because the house was on my familys property and was being tore down if you use a gun for home defense to me this is a good way to know what your going to experience.
my choice though is the pump just personal prefrence.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #7

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

If someone has the money for 2 home defense shotguns (I'm not counting the duck gun), it would be good to get one of each. However, if only one, like me, I'd much rather have a pump. In SHTF scenarios, there is sooooo much less that can go wrong with a pump, long term.

Tell us a good semi-auto 12-gauge that isn't $1000!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 10-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 693 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
Comments and opinions please.
I think a lot depends on which one is most natural for you. For instance, for me the semi is the one I use the most and so I find myself having to remember to rack the slide on the pump. And there is a 'feel' for racking the slide fully so it cycles completely that I personally don't have and would be concerned that in a threat situation I might jam it. So it's the 1100 or the 935 for me. But I do keep one in the pipe.

None of mine cost $1000, but they have never failed to go 'boom' when I squeezed the trigger….and never failed to cycle through every shell in the tube.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 779 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 227

[QUOTE="RemFire"]

I sometimes wonder how that would work out for you in a situation where you need all your senses working A1. It would be ok if it was one shot - job done, but what if you miss first time?,

Miss?????? What's that?
I must Google the term!

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 10-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

The reason my pump shotgun is within my reach when i'm asleep is that i am confident in my ability to use it while startled, falling, lying in bed, or dazed. I have used this very shotgun while so cold i was afraid to fall asleep in the stand. I have had it since 1995; it has earned my trust. If i ever reach the point when my XD45 is as comfortable, i might put it on the night stand as well, but until then it must languish in the safe. If i was a younger person who grew up hunting waterfowl and was more comfortable with a semi-auto shotty, then it would be beside the bed, loaded and waiting.

Not being as "up to date" on the semi's, i am not familiar with the "security" models. I find myself wondering how a shorter barrel would affect cycling on the semi's. My pump was not affected by the barrel swap to an 18.5" security barrel (bird barrel in the safe).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.