You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Proper shotugn and load for wasp nest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2017, 10:01 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1659 Times on 971 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Granny Rex's old house had gable type covered porches, paper wasp's would usually set up house right in the rafters by the door.
Once she'd found a nest, she'd wate till night when the wasps were on the nest, she'd put on some baggy mens coveralls with cuffs and collar buttoned up, some leather work gloves put on a old pith sun helmet with bug net and her trusty 6 volt lantern and a couple cans of Raid wasp & hornet spray and really lay into them, walk up real close turn on the lantern and hose them puppies down.

A few years back my wife & baby had came home and some hornets had set up camp right next to the door chased them off while I was at work. She called the city and they sent over the fire truck and 3 full suited up firemen and they hosed the nest and anything flying with the fire hose.

I see now days they have insecticide attachments that hook up to a garden hose today.

I remeber working with my uncles bringing the haying equipment from the area it was parked, sometimes wasps or bumble bees would be in there when moving them over to the shop for servicing, youd see the bumble bees swarming, given time they settle back down enough to approach with a coffee can of diesel and splash the nest, diesel on a hot day the wasps or bees get soaked pretty good for paper nests up under running boards and engine cowling's they used a old fashoned pump sprayor filled with diesel, set to a atomized mist wasps just fall to the ground.
File Type: jpg PG-390_9.jpg (7.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpeg 2017-09-17-13-52-41-1152071183.jpeg (10.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpeg images-1.jpeg (4.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpeg images.jpeg (6.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpeg images-6.jpeg (5.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 09-18-2017 at 06:06 AM.
People Like This 
Old 09-17-2017, 10:44 PM   #42

Liked 1715 Times on 774 Posts
Likes Given: 1874

Well, we have bumble bees, honey bees, wasps, mud daubers, yellow jackets, hornets, and a black/white wasp-looking critter that is more of an annoyance than anything else.

The hornets are somewhere near our three apple trees, and really bother the deer that come by to partake of the fallen apples.

Last year and a few years before that, it was yellow jackets around the apple trees.

I've only been stung once in the 12+ years we've lived here, and that was inside the house, by a wasp. Hurt like heck for a few days. Wife was stung several times by bumble bees when she apparently disturbed their nest while walking from the barn to the house. We probably used three cans of hornet killer on that nest. She was also stung once by a hornet, on the toe, in our screened-in porch. It had gotten in and was crawling toward our sleeping dog. She stopped it, but paid the price.

Don't like any of them. We have one hornet that buzzes our front porch, slamming into walls and ceilings. It's a wonder the thing is still alive. I may need to correct that.
People Like This 
Old 09-18-2017, 09:48 PM   #43

Liked 1326 Times on 811 Posts
Likes Given: 2276

If you can get an old empty Hornet nest and hang it on your porchit will keep a

Old 09-18-2017, 09:52 PM   #44

Liked 1326 Times on 811 Posts
Likes Given: 2276

If you can get an old empty Hornet nest and hang it on your porch it will keep all the flies away. Hanging a gallon size plastic bag with a penny in it imitates the nest close enough for flies to stay away but not near as effective.
I cannot recollect the story near enough to relate it but Grand Ma had one hanging at the outhouse. Seems like that some squatters moved in.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:53 AM   #45
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2106 Times on 925 Posts
Likes Given: 1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbucket View Post
If you can get an old empty Hornet nest and hang it on your porch it will keep all the flies away. Hanging a gallon size plastic bag with a penny in it imitates the nest close enough for flies to stay away but not near as effective.
I cannot recollect the story near enough to relate it but Grand Ma had one hanging at the outhouse. Seems like that some squatters moved in.
You mean other squatters............
People Like This 
Old 09-20-2017, 02:56 AM   #46
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 1382 Times on 1078 Posts

rfj...........you mean these guys?
bald face wasps. they nailed me a few times. aggressive wasps! came at me 50 ft away just for thinking about coming towards them. gas and a match at night did them in.
File Type: jpg bald_faced wasp.jpg (36.6 KB, 10 views)
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
tinbucket Likes This 
Old 09-24-2017, 04:20 PM   #47

Liked 7405 Times on 3642 Posts
Likes Given: 2321

Brakelean.... if you've never experienced the sheer awesomeness of this product, you may want to come out of the Stone Age hole in the ground you've been hiding.
Drops wasps on contact.

Galatians 5:22-23

Pray for the hundreds of thousands of innocent people being killed by Islam across the world.
People Like This 
Old 09-24-2017, 06:44 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2876 Times on 1300 Posts
Likes Given: 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Brakelean.... if you've never experienced the sheer awesomeness of this product, you may want to come out of the Stone Age hole in the ground you've been hiding.
Drops wasps on contact.
There was a time you could buy wasp repellent in a pressurized can that would do that. Ten feet away. Probably had Brakelean in it.

The last wasp repellent I bought was a foam!

ellis
kfox75 Likes This