Problems with cheap shotgun ammo?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Problems with cheap shotgun ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I recently bought my first shotgun..
I live down the street from a Walmart and was looking at what they had for ammo. They had some reallllly cheap birdshot. Like $9 for a box of 25. It was sold as skeet shooting ammo. It was lead. Made my remington.

My question is, will I have any problems shooting really cheap ammo out of my mossberg 590A1?
What downsides will I get from buying crappy ammo? As long as its lead am I okay?
I'm suchhhh a noob at this, sorry.

image-1448399733.jpg  

Last edited by GoGlockOrGoHome; 04-01-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #2

Liked 54 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sombody that knows ahellva lot more should chime in soon, but ive had no problems with wallyworlds cheap shotty shellz, its all i buy actually.

Im new to the shotgun scene also, but ive been getting my blast on when i can lately.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2794 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 1613

If it's brand name ammo and your barrel and choke tubes are rated to handle the projectiles (lead, steel, bismuth/tin) you'll be just fine. Read your owner's manual to be sure.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJack
Sombody that knows ahellva lot more should chime in soon, but ive had no problems with wallyworlds cheap shotty shellz, its all i buy actually.

Im new to the shotgun scene also, but ive been getting my blast on when i can lately.
Yeah, I figure I can shoot just about anything through it, but didnt know what downsides there could be?
Dirtier? Less accurate? I don't know what I don't know I guess, ya know? lol

Old 04-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I cant give you a technical answer but from personal experience It doesn't hurt my gun, I shot trap competitively for 6+ years shooting the cheapest shells Walmart sold and they didn't hurt my remmy 1100 any.

R1100-12 ga
R1100-20 ga
Fueled By Hornaday

Old 04-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGlockOrGoHome View Post
I recently bought my first shotgun..
I live down the street from a Walmart and was looking at what they had for ammo. They had some reallllly cheap birdshot. Like $9 for a box of 25. It was sold as skeet shooting ammo. It was lead. Made my remington.

My question is, will I have any problems shooting really cheap ammo out of my mossberg 590A1?
What downsides will I get from buying crappy ammo? As long as its lead am I okay?
I'm suchhhh a noob at this, sorry.
I have a Mossberg 590A1 too; and have bought a few boxes of shells (Winchester) from Walmart (25 in a box) for practice shooting. Never ever a problem.

Last edited by PanBaccha; 04-01-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2531 Times on 1236 Posts
Likes Given: 1270

Go Glock,

No trouble at all shooting target or field loads in your Mossberg pump gun. The ammunition you purchased is lead shot loads. So you will have to really brush your barrel out "Good!" when you are done because lead residue will build up in the barrel. It will do that with any target or hunting load that has lead shot in it! It will not hurt the gun at all just takes more effort to clean. Use a good Brass Shotgun Brush! *DRY! until you get the lead out of the barrel. The lead will look like a shadow in the bore of the barrel when it is in there! Then when finished brushing run a patch with solvent on it and check it for any lead! If there is any left run a dry patch through the bore and *Dry brush some more! Then use your solvent and patch to finish cleaning the bore of the barrel. The barrel will look totally clean and shiny as new when it is perfectly clean. Then put some lube on a patch and run it through a couple of times. One more dry patch one time through the barrel to take out the excess lube and you are good to go!

HAVE FUN!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 04-01-2013 at 11:18 PM.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #8

Liked 131 Times on 101 Posts

$9 a box is primo stuff, not cheap. The cheap stuff is a lot closer to $5 a box. I shot 100 cheap Federals Saturday without a hitch.

What could have happened... did.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:34 PM   #9

Liked 2173 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 472

It'll be fine. Clean up shouldn't be too bad either. Smooth bores clean up pretty quick, and the shot usually remains in the shot cup/wad on its way down the bore. Fine stuff for birds, to small game or clay targets. Not the best stuff for defensive situations, as bird shot would indicate it is made for small thin skinned critters.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:45 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

So much help! Thanks!