Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > problem with Remington 870 Exp.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default problem with Remington 870 Exp.

Have a new 870 exp that I purchased from a neighbor. He mistakenly bought an express when he really wanted the 870 that would receive 3.5" shells. Claims he never fired the gun, but jammed the gun trying to load a 3.5"shell. Everything on the gun seemed to be fined until I tried to load some shells in it. The action will not lock when closed (w shell). When it is empty, it closes & locks fine. Suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2911 Times on 1716 Posts

Welcome to FTF. Pics would be helpful. He probably bent something.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1042 Times on 672 Posts
Likes Given: 5349

Welcome to the forum. When you get the cance, go to the introductions forum, and tells the rest of us about yourself.

I have to agree with Mountainman, it sounds to me like something in the action got bent when the 3.5 inch shell was jammed in. Post some pictures of the internal parts, both in and out of the shotgun if possible, and one of us may be able to help you find or fix the problem.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 09-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #4

Liked 102 Times on 78 Posts

A 3-1/2" shell will load fine even in a 2-3/4" Wingmaster, unless there is something else wrong. An unfired 3-1/2" shell will eject fine too from a 3" gun. If the gun won't lock the bolt is not going fully into battery. Could be an undersized chamber, could be an oversized shell. Could be the fore end is loose and the fore end is hitting the barrel ring before it can take the shell all the way into battery.

What could have happened... did.

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 09-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #5

Liked 1016 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Even if he did fire a 3 1/2" shell in the gun the worst thing that could happen is the shell would get stuck in the barrel. I have seen people fire 3" shells in guns made for 2 3/4" ammo. All that happened was the empty hull got stuck in the receiver.

I would bet he field stripped the gun and managed to put the parts in wrong.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #6

Liked 102 Times on 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I would bet he field stripped the gun and managed to put the parts in wrong.
^^^+1^^^ He did something all right.

What could have happened... did.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:18 AM   #7

Barrel isn't on right. The mag cap should be on tight.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
Buy a mossberg
Really. This already.

Funny thing, I have 3 Mossbergs and a pair of 870s in my cabinet and none of them has ever let me down. Hell, 2 of those mossbergs are old enough to collect pensions, and one of the 870 is old enough to vote. have always wondered though, what would happen if i stripped down one of each and combined the parts? Would it be called a 1370 or a 570? Would one work and the other one not work? Imagine the brand bashing then.....

Now remember, Don't buy the Remingberg 1370. Those things are junk. Save up the extra $5 and buy the Mossington instead. But watch out for wear in that aluminum receiver, They just get so chewe up when you use the Winfedinton ammo.

Virginian. plus one on the fore end nut. I never thought of that, and it would be just enough to keep the action from going into battery when loose. Gutpile. I agree. That may also be part of the problem. Wondering when the OP is going to update us as to if he has found the problem or not.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-27-2013, 03:44 AM   #9

Liked 1016 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Really. This already.

Funny thing, I have 3 Mossbergs and a pair of 870s in my cabinet and none of them has ever let me down. Hell, 2 of those mossbergs are old enough to collect pensions, and one of the 870 is old enough to vote. have always wondered though, what would happen if i stripped down one of each and combined the parts? Would it be called a 1370 or a 570? Would one work and the other one not work? Imagine the brand bashing then.....

Now remember, Don't buy the Remingberg 1370. Those things are junk. Save up the extra $5 and buy the Mossington instead. But watch out for wear in that aluminum receiver, They just get so chewe up when you use the Winfedinton ammo.

Virginian. plus one on the fore end nut. I never thought of that, and it would be just enough to keep the action from going into battery when loose. Gutpile. I agree. That may also be part of the problem. Wondering when the OP is going to update us as to if he has found the problem or not.
If we don't hear from him again we can assume he fixed it.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
If we don't hear from him again we can assume he fixed it.
That or he traded it off, and passed it on to the next vic..... um, person in line.

Si vis pacem parabellum.