Problem with a Remington 11-87

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Problem with a Remington 11-87

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Problem with a Remington 11-87

I offered to take a look at my buddy's Remington 11-87 12 gauge that had a shell jammed under the carrier release. He wasn't able to get it out so he gave up on it. I took took the trigger group out, got the shell out, then cleaned and lubricated the gun. Everything seems fine now but does anybody have any idea what would cause this? Even though it seems to be working correctly again I'm hesitant to shoot it without have a gunsmith take a look at it (also to be fair I've never owned an auto-loading shotgun so that accounts for much of my lack of comfort with the thing). Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2010, 01:43 AM   #2

Liked 159 Times on 120 Posts

Could have been any one of several things, not the least likely culprit being dirt and grime. Over the years some people have had trouble letting shells slip and get under the carrier, and there is a "fix" for this on the 870. You cleared it one of the easier ways. I have never had a problem in over 45 years with multiple 1100s and 11-87s, but I didn't ride the short bus either.

What could have happened... did.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:44 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

That's happen to me with my 1100. Can't remember exactly what I did, but I think it happened when I was trying to unload the shells from the magazine by pressing on the retaining tabs. It came half way out, so I pushed it back into the magazine tube. But it didn't go all the way in and I didn't notice it until after I pulled the bolt back to chamber a shell.

I had to do the same thing you had to to straighten it out. Of course your buddies problem could be from something else.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON View Post
wow. i didn't finish. and i want that time i just wasted back. I was hoping for at least a pic of Bea Arthur in her undies .

Old 03-03-2010, 02:16 AM   #4

I did this the first time I shot my 1187 waterfowl... I was wearing gloves when i loaded it and the last shell didnt get seated all the way in because my glove got caught in it. It was easy enough to dissasemble and take out, but a valueable lesson learned.

WCU Rugby!

Lucky Taurus Owner... 3 out of 3! PT1911/ PT92F/ 44 Raging Bull

Old 03-03-2010, 02:46 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So it sounds like you just have to make sure that each shell seats in the mag tube when loading? I was worried that there was something more serious going on. Thanks guys