problem or not?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > problem or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default problem or not?

i have a pardner pump, it has been flawless thru several hundred rounds. i was cleaning it today and afterward was loading my buckshot in it, my wife had fell asleep on the couch so as not to wake her up i carefully pressed the release brought the slide back and eased the slide forward slowly. then as the buckshot started to enter the chamber the slide stuck slightly, i tried to ease it forward but no i then pushed the slide up with normal force and it loaded just fine. i then unloaded it and reloaded using a normal motion, no problem at all loaded smoothly. should the gun be able to load slow and easy?, i guess i'm asking do i have a problem or not? thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-18-2012, 01:58 AM   #2

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
i have a pardner pump, it has been flawless thru several hundred rounds. i was cleaning it today and afterward was loading my buckshot in it, my wife had fell asleep on the couch so as not to wake her up i carefully pressed the release brought the slide back and eased the slide forward slowly. then as the buckshot started to enter the chamber the slide stuck slightly, i tried to ease it forward but no i then pushed the slide up with normal force and it loaded just fine. i then unloaded it and reloaded using a normal motion, no problem at all loaded smoothly. should the gun be able to load slow and easy?, i guess i'm asking do i have a problem or not? thanks
My 870 does the same thing if the shell is too far rearward on the elevator. It becomes more difficult to drive the slide forward. You wouldn't notice it if you were pumping with a normal force, but if you actuate the slide slowly as you described it will be come noticeable. I think whats happening is that youre dragging the hull which is a rubbery plastic across a metal surface. Naturally it would stick slightly. Once it begins to enter the chamber, the contact with the elevator is lessened and eventually removed which is why you dont get that resistance when the shell is sitting more forward. Just my theory though.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 05-18-2012 at 02:00 AM.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:26 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1153 Times on 792 Posts
Likes Given: 1169

Not a problem....................

When all else fails.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:56 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21202 Times on 12040 Posts
Likes Given: 52916

possibly because you tried to ease it gently. most pumps like to be racked with some gusto. i have only experianced a problem or seen it with my wife when trying to gently load a shell. i had to get her to use some authority with the pump. now she has no problem with it. i am not sure this is your problem, but just an idea to consider.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #5

Liked 128 Times on 98 Posts

If you turn it sideways to watch it doesn't help either. If an intruder falls asleep on your couch, and rather than petrifying him by racking the pump loudly you decide you want to blast him awake, I can see where it might get dicey.

What could have happened... did.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #6

Liked 225 Times on 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian
If you turn it sideways to watch it doesn't help either. If an intruder falls asleep on your couch, and rather than petrifying him by racking the pump loudly you decide you want to blast him awake, I can see where it might get dicey.
Not sure if you were serious but I don't think a dead intruder would look good on your part if he was still laying on the couch like he was snoozing ,probably the better idea would be to tickle his nose with the muzzle after calling the authorities and laugh when he fills his underwear to the brim when he wakes up

---Shoot To Thrill---

Old 05-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #7

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Not a problem in particular. Mechanical actions offer resistance. 870's are bad enough. Chinese ones have to be worse. The instructions probably say to work the action smartly. With a different gun and when broken in maybe it'd be smoother...

Old 05-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #8

Liked 333 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
possibly because you tried to ease it gently. most pumps like to be racked with some gusto. i have only experianced a problem or seen it with my wife when trying to gently load a shell. i had to get her to use some authority with the pump. now she has no problem with it. i am not sure this is your problem, but just an idea to consider.
i've got an old JC Higgins pump that is the same way.

whenever my girlfriend shoots my semi-auto pistols, she always tries to gently rack the slide & ease it forward to make sure a shell loads. this always results in either the gun not going into battery or the round popping out of the mag & stove piping. i gotta keep telling her to do it with some authority, that's the way the guns were designed

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Old 05-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 98

I had this issue w Mossberg but it only had one charge bar. I have not had the problem w my 870 but it is relatively new and it has two charge bars.

W/O two charge bars the action can bind a wee bit. Historically, under duress, short shucking can be a problem. If anyone knows a cure, now would be a good time to let the genie out of the bottle.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:44 AM   #10

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I think I know one -- check your owners' manual on that Mossberg for the actual name and part number to replace.