Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Problem with new Remington 870

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 01:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Problem with new Remington 870

Hi Everyone,

This weekend I picked up a new Remington 870 express super mag. I got it home and assembled it and the rim on the barrel was off slightly by about 1/16" (see pics)-not much but still noticeable. Upon further inspection, the edge of the receiver where it meets the barrel is not machined 100% evenly and one edge is slightly thicker which is causing the barrel to sit funny in the gun.

The retailer will not take it back because they say the gun will still function correctly and the issue is strictly cosmetic. I called Remington and they said they would look at it but it would be a 4-6 week turn around (if they can fix it). Sad part is I haven't even chambered a round.

This is my first new gun but am I being too picky with it or should I send it in to Remington, will they even be able to do anything? Would like to put a slug barrel on it eventually with a cantilever mount, will this be off as well?

I will go to the introductions page shortly to introduce myself.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks!

photo.jpg   photo2.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-24-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

It Looks like the alignment on the rib may be off a bit. That said, go shoot the damn thing and see if it actually effects you.
Welcome to FTF.

I don't need No stinking signature.

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 09-24-2013, 01:40 AM   #3

Yea that's what I thought too but I tried a different barrel on it and same issue, thats when we discovered that the end of the receiver was slightly uneven.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:45 AM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alber197 View Post
Yea that's what I thought too but I tried a different barrel on it and same issue, thats when we discovered that the end of the receiver was slightly uneven.
Shoot it. If it doesn't shoot right, contact them again because it is no longer just a cosmetic issue.

I don't need No stinking signature.

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 09-24-2013, 02:35 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1489 Times on 1007 Posts
Likes Given: 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by alber197 View Post
Hi Everyone,

This weekend I picked up a new Remington 870 express super mag. I got it home and assembled it and the rim on the barrel was off slightly by about 1/16" (see pics)-not much but still noticeable. Upon further inspection, the edge of the receiver where it meets the barrel is not machined 100% evenly and one edge is slightly thicker which is causing the barrel to sit funny in the gun.

The retailer will not take it back because they say the gun will still function correctly and the issue is strictly cosmetic. I called Remington and they said they would look at it but it would be a 4-6 week turn around (if they can fix it). Sad part is I haven't even chambered a round.

This is my first new gun but am I being too picky with it or should I send it in to Remington, will they even be able to do anything? Would like to put a slug barrel on it eventually with a cantilever mount, will this be off as well?

I will go to the introductions page shortly to introduce myself.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks!
You bought a new shotgun, not a second. The gun should be in new condition when you accept it. I wouldn't accept that gun. I would call remilin for a prepaid shipping label. It's the duty of remilin to provide you with a gun in new condition.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 09-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #6

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 72

you get what you pay for

Old 09-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1543 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 7877

The rib on my wife's M 500 and my dad's M 5500 do the same thing. Doesn't affect how either one shoots at all. take it out, and see if it shoots well and works right. If it does, run it as is. If not, send it in and get it fixed.

JD. It is still a new gun, even if something is not quite right. He bought it NIB. It just has a couple of issues that may be cosmetic, or may be an actual problem. If it was me, I would take it to a smith to make sure it can safely be fired, and if it can, I would try it and see if it will work as is. If not, back to the company, and make them honor their warranty.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 09-26-2013, 02:52 AM   #8

Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts

Piss on that.... If you bought a new shotgun you should get a new shotgun. Cosmetic my butt, if you bought a new car and the doors didn't quite line up,, car still drove. just cosmetic? Maybe but you shouldn't accept out of the box problems. I would tell em you aren't comfortable shooting it as is and being your first 870, it will also be your last if this is not remedied Riki tick.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:49 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2688 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

On one hand I agree the gun should be cosmetically correct. On the other hand it is a crudely finished, parkerized, entry level gun. It is NOT a Perrazi double barrel.

If the doors on a BMW did not line up perfectly, I would be upset. If the doors on a Yugo don't line up perfectly, but still operate? I'm OK with that.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 09-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1489 Times on 1007 Posts
Likes Given: 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
On one hand I agree the gun should be cosmetically correct. On the other hand it is a crudely finished, parkerized, entry level gun. It is NOT a Perrazi double barrel.

If the doors on a BMW did not line up perfectly, I would be upset. If the doors on a Yugo don't line up perfectly, but still operate? I'm OK with that.
Robo, you and I usually see things the same way. In this case we disagree. We are talking about the most elementary part of gun manufacturing. The barrel needs to line up with the receiver. It's just that simple. The OP paid for new gun. He should receive a new gun free of defects, regardless if the defects are deemed cosmetic. Personally, the rib cocked over like that would piss me off every time I shouldered the gun. I don't spend $350 for stuff that just pisses me off.

We all have learning experiences. This is a learning experience for the OP. Put the gun together and inspect it before taking possession of it. You don't have to accept garbage from the retail shelf or delivered to your FFL.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato