Pre-1916 Stevens 20 ga
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Pre-1916 Stevens 20 ga

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 02:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Pre-1916 Stevens 20 ga

I finally got some photos (and the correct info) on the shotgun I would like to know more about.
I know very little about it except that it's stamped on the left side "J Stevens Arms and Tool Co" which means it's made before 1916 when the company dropped the "and Tool Co". And every separate piece of it is stamped "198 DH". If that's the model number I have never found it listed anywhere.
Notice the fore stock. Unlike most that are thick at the front this one tapers to a thin point. It's thin enough that it has chipped a bit over the years.
Any info at all would be appreciated!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #2

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I don't think the wood is original to it. Most low priced work guns weren't checkered and didn't have grip caps. Here's another one albeit vastly overpriced.
J. Stevens Arms Tool Co. 12 ga sibgle shot : Single Shot at GunBroker.com

Last edited by Hawg; 05-21-2010 at 03:37 PM.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
I don't think the wood is original to it. Most low priced work guns weren't checkered and didn't have grip caps. Here's another one albeit vastly overpriced.
J. Stevens Arms Tool Co. 12 ga sibgle shot : Single Shot at GunBroker.com
I may be wrong but I think that it's all original. Every piece of it (that's big enough) has the "198 DH" stamp... including the wood. It also has the "Stevens" butt plate but that could have been fitted to a new stock. Maybe they sold a Deluxe model with the checkering, etc., for a couple dollars more?