Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   General Shotgun Discussion (
-   -   Power of Size 00 Buckshot (

catattack 06-14-2007 05:15 PM

Power of Size 00 Buckshot
00 Buckshot is a popular round for home defense, at least according to many personal accounts I have read over the years. I picked up a box of "Remington Magnum Buckshot" today and noticed that Black Bear was on the recommended game list. It seems odd that one can go after a bear with a shotgun, so I was wondering if anybody has tried. Would I kill the bear, or really piss it off?

Here are the statistics on the box:
12 Gauge
3 Length
1225 FPS
15 Pellets

Splatter 06-15-2007 03:30 AM

Very large grizzlies have been killed with .22RF.

The key to killing large game with buckshot is to get close enough to ensure that all the pellets impact the kill-zone.

Each pellet packs about the same "killing power" as a round from a .32ACP.

allmons 06-22-2007 12:47 PM

I teach combat shotgun for a local company
and we start the firing portion by shooting the rifle range "gong" at 100 yards with "double aught". Pretty impressive for people who haven't worked with a shotgun much.

There is no animal on this continent that cannot be killed with buck shot, but it would not be my choice on big game. As a last ditch defense against bear, it would work well. But I would sure be praying for a slug or two in that shotgun magazine!!

allmons 06-26-2007 05:05 PM

Oh, and remember
it will penetrate auto glass and doors with ease.

robocop10mm 07-03-2007 06:06 PM

OO buck
Magnum in a shotgun is not the same as magnum in a handgun or rifle. Magnum in a shotgun refers to payload, not velocity. A magnum shotgun round has a heavier payload (more shot) than a standard load

OO buck in a 12 ga pump shotgun is the weapon of choice for professional hunting guides when searching for wounded lions in heavy cover. If they trust their lives to it in that extreme circumstance, I will trust it to do the job on two legged vermin.