Poly choke


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Poly choke

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bowhunter17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 142
Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts

Default Poly choke

I just got an old shotgun that has a poly choke on the end of the barrel. I kind of know how to adjust it. Can anyone tell me more about poly chokes and how well they work?



__________________
bowhunter17 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 04-21-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
akers06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,195
Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Default

I.have an old Mossberg 20 gauge with a poly choke and it works pretty well...basically they more you tighten it up the tighter the choke is



__________________
akers06 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:11 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bowhunter17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 142
Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts

Default

On my poly choke, if It is on imp cylinder, and I turn it clockwise, it let's me turn it multiple times in a complete revolution all the way back to imp cylinder. is that supposed to happen?

__________________
bowhunter17 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:16 AM   #4
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kfox75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wrong side of the tracks, Erie PA,
Posts: 2,783
Liked 1775 Times on 1095 Posts
Likes Given: 9861

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter17 View Post
I just got an old shotgun that has a poly choke on the end of the barrel. I kind of know how to adjust it. Can anyone tell me more about poly chokes and how well they work?
Can't vouch for the Poly-Choke, but I do have a Mossberg with the C-Lect choke and a Kessler with a Komp-Choke. How well do they work? In a word, perfectly. A poly-Choke is one of the most versatile chokes I have ever used. Short range shots, long range shots, or anything in between with the twist of your hand.

To get better aquainted with your new choke, set up some patterning targets at differing ranges, and try some of your settings at each range to get an idea of how much twist is needed at each distance. While you are at it, open your choke up to cylender, and send a few slugs through it. You may have just found your next deer gun. Depending on the model, your chokes may be click set or non click set. With the non click models, you can set you choke between choke settings. To close for modified, but too far away for IC? Not a problem. Set it between the two, and let 'er rip.

i have been using the Mossberg mentioned above since the early '80s, and have taken everythong from upland birds to deer with it. It was passed down to my dad, who passed it down to me, and I still use it today. Enjoy your new shotgun.
__________________

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

kfox75 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:38 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,617
Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default

I've had a few installed. Here's the latest. They make the already versatile shotgun quite more so with the flick of a wrist which as a real shotgunner I appreciate. They work wonderfully. This is my loaded HD shotgun.

mossberg-500-w-polychoke-comp.jpg  
__________________
HockaLouis is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:53 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Virginian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Evangeline,Louisiana
Posts: 882
Liked 159 Times on 120 Posts

Default

I had a Mossberg C-Lect choke many moons ago. That and a few inches of barrel are still out out in the marsh somewhere. I haven't missed it.

__________________

What could have happened... did.

Virginian is offline  
Gatoragn Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kfox75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wrong side of the tracks, Erie PA,
Posts: 2,783
Liked 1775 Times on 1095 Posts
Likes Given: 9861

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
I've had a few installed. Here's the latest. They make the already versatile shotgun quite more so with the flick of a wrist which as a real shotgunner I appreciate. They work wonderfully. This is my loaded HD shotgun.
Nice HD rig Hocka. I always wondered what an M 500 would look like with a poly-choke, pretty sweet from the looks of yours.
__________________

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

kfox75 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,932
Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I had a Mossberg C-Lect choke many moons ago. That and a few inches of barrel are still out out in the marsh somewhere. I haven't missed it.
Mines still in my shop somewhere
__________________

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

HOSSFLY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 3,171
Liked 2077 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 1021

Default

I have a 16 ga which belonged to my dad (870) and he swore by it. I have used it some and it patterns well with most loads. It is old technology, but it still works well even though it may not be pleasing to the eye!

__________________

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

JimRau is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bowhunter17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 142
Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75

Can't vouch for the Poly-Choke, but I do have a Mossberg with the C-Lect choke and a Kessler with a Komp-Choke. How well do they work? In a word, perfectly. A poly-Choke is one of the most versatile chokes I have ever used. Short range shots, long range shots, or anything in between with the twist of your hand.

To get better aquainted with your new choke, set up some patterning targets at differing ranges, and try some of your settings at each range to get an idea of how much twist is needed at each distance. While you are at it, open your choke up to cylender, and send a few slugs through it. You may have just found your next deer gun. Depending on the model, your chokes may be click set or non click set. With the non click models, you can set you choke between choke settings. To close for modified, but too far away for IC? Not a problem. Set it between the two, and let 'er rip.

i have been using the Mossberg mentioned above since the early '80s, and have taken everythong from upland birds to deer with it. It was passed down to my dad, who passed it down to me, and I still use it today. Enjoy your new shotgun.
Mine is a click set, but it will stay in between two settings.


__________________
bowhunter17 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
cylinder choke vs modified choke at 20yards. VASH1456 General Shotgun Discussion 6 02-12-2013 03:21 AM
45 ACP Poly BlackBeautyF150 Semi-Auto Handguns 3 06-01-2012 03:34 AM
Poly Sub 45 Woody Semi-Auto Handguns 18 09-08-2009 01:37 PM
Poly or Not Woody Semi-Auto Handguns 10 08-26-2009 07:34 PM
M14 Poly-Tec Kaptin Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 4 04-09-2009 10:11 PM