Poly choke

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Poly choke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts

Default Poly choke

I just got an old shotgun that has a poly choke on the end of the barrel. I kind of know how to adjust it. Can anyone tell me more about poly chokes and how well they work?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2013, 03:05 AM   #2

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

I.have an old Mossberg 20 gauge with a poly choke and it works pretty well...basically they more you tighten it up the tighter the choke is

Old 04-21-2013, 03:11 AM   #3

On my poly choke, if It is on imp cylinder, and I turn it clockwise, it let's me turn it multiple times in a complete revolution all the way back to imp cylinder. is that supposed to happen?

Old 04-21-2013, 03:16 AM   #4
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1775 Times on 1095 Posts
Likes Given: 9861

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter17 View Post
I just got an old shotgun that has a poly choke on the end of the barrel. I kind of know how to adjust it. Can anyone tell me more about poly chokes and how well they work?
Can't vouch for the Poly-Choke, but I do have a Mossberg with the C-Lect choke and a Kessler with a Komp-Choke. How well do they work? In a word, perfectly. A poly-Choke is one of the most versatile chokes I have ever used. Short range shots, long range shots, or anything in between with the twist of your hand.

To get better aquainted with your new choke, set up some patterning targets at differing ranges, and try some of your settings at each range to get an idea of how much twist is needed at each distance. While you are at it, open your choke up to cylender, and send a few slugs through it. You may have just found your next deer gun. Depending on the model, your chokes may be click set or non click set. With the non click models, you can set you choke between choke settings. To close for modified, but too far away for IC? Not a problem. Set it between the two, and let 'er rip.

i have been using the Mossberg mentioned above since the early '80s, and have taken everythong from upland birds to deer with it. It was passed down to my dad, who passed it down to me, and I still use it today. Enjoy your new shotgun.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:38 AM   #5

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I've had a few installed. Here's the latest. They make the already versatile shotgun quite more so with the flick of a wrist which as a real shotgunner I appreciate. They work wonderfully. This is my loaded HD shotgun.

mossberg-500-w-polychoke-comp.jpg  

Old 04-21-2013, 03:53 AM   #6

Liked 159 Times on 120 Posts

I had a Mossberg C-Lect choke many moons ago. That and a few inches of barrel are still out out in the marsh somewhere. I haven't missed it.

What could have happened... did.

Gatoragn Likes This 
Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1775 Times on 1095 Posts
Likes Given: 9861

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
I've had a few installed. Here's the latest. They make the already versatile shotgun quite more so with the flick of a wrist which as a real shotgunner I appreciate. They work wonderfully. This is my loaded HD shotgun.
Nice HD rig Hocka. I always wondered what an M 500 would look like with a poly-choke, pretty sweet from the looks of yours.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #8

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I had a Mossberg C-Lect choke many moons ago. That and a few inches of barrel are still out out in the marsh somewhere. I haven't missed it.
Mines still in my shop somewhere

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 04-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2077 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 1021

I have a 16 ga which belonged to my dad (870) and he swore by it. I have used it some and it patterns well with most loads. It is old technology, but it still works well even though it may not be pleasing to the eye!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 04-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75

Can't vouch for the Poly-Choke, but I do have a Mossberg with the C-Lect choke and a Kessler with a Komp-Choke. How well do they work? In a word, perfectly. A poly-Choke is one of the most versatile chokes I have ever used. Short range shots, long range shots, or anything in between with the twist of your hand.

To get better aquainted with your new choke, set up some patterning targets at differing ranges, and try some of your settings at each range to get an idea of how much twist is needed at each distance. While you are at it, open your choke up to cylender, and send a few slugs through it. You may have just found your next deer gun. Depending on the model, your chokes may be click set or non click set. With the non click models, you can set you choke between choke settings. To close for modified, but too far away for IC? Not a problem. Set it between the two, and let 'er rip.

i have been using the Mossberg mentioned above since the early '80s, and have taken everythong from upland birds to deer with it. It was passed down to my dad, who passed it down to me, and I still use it today. Enjoy your new shotgun.
Mine is a click set, but it will stay in between two settings.