Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Poly choke (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/poly-choke-89237/)

bowhunter17 04-21-2013 02:37 AM

Poly choke
 
I just got an old shotgun that has a poly choke on the end of the barrel. I kind of know how to adjust it. Can anyone tell me more about poly chokes and how well they work?

akers06 04-21-2013 03:05 AM

I.have an old Mossberg 20 gauge with a poly choke and it works pretty well...basically they more you tighten it up the tighter the choke is

bowhunter17 04-21-2013 03:11 AM

On my poly choke, if It is on imp cylinder, and I turn it clockwise, it let's me turn it multiple times in a complete revolution all the way back to imp cylinder. is that supposed to happen?

kfox75 04-21-2013 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowhunter17 (Post 1221332)
I just got an old shotgun that has a poly choke on the end of the barrel. I kind of know how to adjust it. Can anyone tell me more about poly chokes and how well they work?

Can't vouch for the Poly-Choke, but I do have a Mossberg with the C-Lect choke and a Kessler with a Komp-Choke. How well do they work? In a word, perfectly. A poly-Choke is one of the most versatile chokes I have ever used. Short range shots, long range shots, or anything in between with the twist of your hand.

To get better aquainted with your new choke, set up some patterning targets at differing ranges, and try some of your settings at each range to get an idea of how much twist is needed at each distance. While you are at it, open your choke up to cylender, and send a few slugs through it. You may have just found your next deer gun. Depending on the model, your chokes may be click set or non click set. With the non click models, you can set you choke between choke settings. To close for modified, but too far away for IC? Not a problem. Set it between the two, and let 'er rip.

i have been using the Mossberg mentioned above since the early '80s, and have taken everythong from upland birds to deer with it. It was passed down to my dad, who passed it down to me, and I still use it today. Enjoy your new shotgun.

HockaLouis 04-21-2013 03:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've had a few installed. Here's the latest. They make the already versatile shotgun quite more so with the flick of a wrist which as a real shotgunner I appreciate. They work wonderfully. This is my loaded HD shotgun.

Virginian 04-21-2013 03:53 AM

I had a Mossberg C-Lect choke many moons ago. That and a few inches of barrel are still out out in the marsh somewhere. I haven't missed it.

kfox75 04-21-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis (Post 1221428)
I've had a few installed. Here's the latest. They make the already versatile shotgun quite more so with the flick of a wrist which as a real shotgunner I appreciate. They work wonderfully. This is my loaded HD shotgun.

Nice HD rig Hocka. I always wondered what an M 500 would look like with a poly-choke, pretty sweet from the looks of yours.

HOSSFLY 04-21-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginian (Post 1221445)
I had a Mossberg C-Lect choke many moons ago. That and a few inches of barrel are still out out in the marsh somewhere. I haven't missed it.

Mines still in my shop somewhere :)

JimRau 04-21-2013 02:54 PM

I have a 16 ga which belonged to my dad (870) and he swore by it. I have used it some and it patterns well with most loads. It is old technology, but it still works well even though it may not be pleasing to the eye!;)

bowhunter17 04-22-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfox75

Can't vouch for the Poly-Choke, but I do have a Mossberg with the C-Lect choke and a Kessler with a Komp-Choke. How well do they work? In a word, perfectly. A poly-Choke is one of the most versatile chokes I have ever used. Short range shots, long range shots, or anything in between with the twist of your hand.

To get better aquainted with your new choke, set up some patterning targets at differing ranges, and try some of your settings at each range to get an idea of how much twist is needed at each distance. While you are at it, open your choke up to cylender, and send a few slugs through it. You may have just found your next deer gun. Depending on the model, your chokes may be click set or non click set. With the non click models, you can set you choke between choke settings. To close for modified, but too far away for IC? Not a problem. Set it between the two, and let 'er rip.

i have been using the Mossberg mentioned above since the early '80s, and have taken everythong from upland birds to deer with it. It was passed down to my dad, who passed it down to me, and I still use it today. Enjoy your new shotgun.

Mine is a click set, but it will stay in between two settings.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:21 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.