Pointing or Aiming - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Pointing or Aiming

View Poll Results: Aiming or Pointing a shotgun
I point my shotgun 26 65.00%
I aim my shotgun 11 27.50%
I point my shotgun, but he is right 1 2.50%
I aim my shotgun, but you're right 2 5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1039 Times on 805 Posts

i do this for a living.
you point a shotgun for moving targets and aim them for stationary targets for slugs.
where you sight the rib depends on if you want a high shot or a low shot in relation to the bore line.
in order to aim, you need 3 points of ref. 1. eye. 2. rear sight. 3 front sight.
to point, your eye becomes the rear sight and the bbl becomes an extension of your eye. in other words, where you look is where the shot is going. you align the front site with the rib and then let it go blur. the focus goes out to the target, not the site. guns that are aimed keep a clear front site and the target is blur.
if you lead a target going across left or right and if your gun is locked in tight, where you look, the shot will go...so you look in front of the target and the target flies into the shot swarm.
if you were to aim at a moving target, by the time the shot gets to where the targets is...it will have moved. so you look in front of it instead.
its like a 1/4 back throwing to a receiver. you throw where he will be, not where he currently is.

its thats simple. youd learn this if you came to the ftf shoot in mo 4-5 oct. come join us.
Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot

Last edited by bobski; 07-21-2014 at 06:35 PM.
MisterMcCool Likes This