Pointing or Aiming - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Pointing or Aiming

View Poll Results: Aiming or Pointing a shotgun
I point my shotgun 26 65.00%
I aim my shotgun 11 27.50%
I point my shotgun, but he is right 1 2.50%
I aim my shotgun, but you're right 2 5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Maybe you're stalking him? He joined last month...

Old 06-25-2014, 03:15 AM   #42

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would say this is more of a question where you answer it personally.
Any long term rifle marksman would tell you to aim the shotgun.
And any long term shotgunner would tell you to point

I myself am a long term shotgunner but longer term Rifleman. I would say you really cannot actually "aim" a shotgun but I feel as if I do both at the same time.
25's ErrryyDay!

Suffer Patiently...
Patiently Suffer....

Old 06-25-2014, 04:11 AM   #43
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8835 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

*cough sneeze cough- jeez- look at the dust in here!*

I should point out this IS a zombie-thread, dating from 2010....

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 06-30-2014, 02:11 AM   #44

Liked 50 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I instinct shoot or point, or did. I haven't been able to use any of them for a while. Aiming works but once familiar with the gun it is not necessary, for me anyway. I've got to get out and do some shooting this fall, hopefully. I lve to shoot skeet but not in competition. Prefer to do it at my pace.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:31 AM   #45

Liked 326 Times on 181 Posts

Default Pointing or Aiming

I'm with DocWard and RMc. I think, by and large, they are saying the same thing.

When your gun fits you can get away with pointing PROVIDED your bead is in perfect alignment with your eye and your cheek is affixed to the comb and you don't lift your head. If you mount a shotgun and you see the rib like a a runway (as in you see the rib at all) then your gun won't shoot flat. It will shoot high. If you mount the gun and you see zero rib but rather a bead on top of a flat surface, then you are set, that's what you should see, just a bead (or stacked beads like an 8). If you hold low gun and mount during the move and your gun is in the place where you don't see rib but only the bead, well, then your gun fits and you can point at a spot in the bird's path and never look at the bead and break a clay (assuming you are swinging and your forward allowance is correct). So, what I'm saying is that if your eye is in the right place with the bead then you can trust that and not look at the bead at all. You stare at the bird/clay's leading edge, hard, and the muzzle of the gun and the bead are a fuzzy blur but you can still see them. Don't take your eye from bead to bird and back. Never take your eye off the bird. If the gun fits and you don't lift your head and keep swinging then you'll break targets. Thus I'm not aiming using the bead like a rifle sight because I'm not looking at the bead. I'm looking to the left or right of the bead (at the bird) and by default my eye is in alignment with that bead but that isn't 'just point your shotgun in the sky in the general vicinity of the bird and it will magically break'. Far from it.

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1404098350.565082.jpg
ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1404098366.157371.jpg
ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1404098383.511888.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Last edited by indy36; 06-30-2014 at 03:34 AM.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:01 AM   #46

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 16

You point a shotgun and aim a rifle. With a shotgun focus on the clay not the sights. With a rifle or pistol you focus on the sights.

Criminals advocate stronger gun laws to foster a safer work environment. This limits their exposure to risk.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #47

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWard View Post
I haven't shot a lot of sporting clays, but the proficient clay shooters I know spend quite a bit of time just practicing their mount, until it is as seamless as possible. Hence, they have great confidence that the sight picture is the same every time. Not much need to check the relationship, because it has been previously checked, time and time again. It ends up being like I said earlier, proper mechanics and fundamentals become most important.
not to bring up an old argument, but seeing your sight picture IS checking the relationship. You are observing how the gun and the target are aligned. This works in Skeet and Trap, but in Sporting Clays where the birds can be presented differently on the same pad and even similar targets are never the same at different courses. I can guarantee that when I shoot, it IS point shooting.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #48

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrezidentGrant View Post
I would say this is more of a question where you answer it personally.
Any long term rifle marksman would tell you to aim the shotgun.
And any long term shotgunner would tell you to point

I myself am a long term shotgunner but longer term Rifleman. I would say you really cannot actually "aim" a shotgun but I feel as if I do both at the same time.
25's ErrryyDay!

Suffer Patiently...
Patiently Suffer....
What do you shoot? In skeet and trap sight pictures and hold points are common tools to help ensure perfect scores. However, in sporting clays the great variety of targets, directions, angles, distances, and speeds means that it's pretty hard to get a uniform sight picture. Rely on it and you will surely miss quite a bit. Actively aiming and measuring lead on the flight path is used, but point shooting is used a lot as well.

This is my coach's coach. Move, mount, shoot as the stock hits your cheek. There is no "aiming"

Old 07-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #49

Liked 98 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 108

In my opinion point a shotgun is aiming it since you are still trying to hit a object, it should be called do you aim or shoot randomly with yours eyes closed, or call it do you attempt to use the sight or just Kentucky windage. As for me unless space dont allow I use my sight because as most people know you still have to aim a shotgun.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:24 AM   #50

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 74

it is like catching or hitting a ball. are your eyes on the mitt or bat or on the ball ?