Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Pointing or Aiming

View Poll Results: Aiming or Pointing a shotgun
I point my shotgun 24 63.16%
I aim my shotgun 11 28.95%
I point my shotgun, but he is right 1 2.63%
I aim my shotgun, but you're right 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pointing or Aiming

One of my best buddies and I are in the middle of a debate regarding pointing a shotgun vs. aiming a shotgun. To me "pointing" the shotgun is the way to go, he clearly thinks that "aiming" is the right way.

To me pointing the shotgun is keeping your face on the stock, but, having your eye a bit above the rib so that you are focusing on the target and almost having to "triangulate" the shot.........much like pointing at a clock on the wall.

He insists that the best way to shoot a shotgun is by keeping your eye down at the level of the rib, and looking along the rib, almost aiming the shotgun like a rifle.

Thoughts please?

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Last edited by amoroque; 12-13-2010 at 10:42 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #2

Liked 113 Times on 87 Posts

E) None of the above. I keep my head down, so I see hardly any rib at all, and point the gun.

What could have happened... did.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you for your input!

elk urine.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:10 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It really depends on whether I have slugs loaded or buckshot

Old 12-14-2010, 01:19 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Bill. I should of clarified that. I was just talking about birdshot.

elk urine.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:02 AM   #6

Tough to answer with the choices listed. My gun fits me so that when shouldered it is in the same place every time, which puts my eye looking right down the barrel at the front sight, sort of like my eye is the rear sight since it lands right in the same place every time....(lets face it, plus or minus some fractions of an inch, realistically and within the time constraints of shouldering and firing at a flying target)...which essentially makes pointing the same as aiming, enough for birdshot. Does that make sense? lol. both i guess.

FWIW, this "sight picture" puts a slug about an inch and a half low and to the left of target at 30 yards. Knowing this piece of information and the correct adjustment makes my gun a pretty decent slug gun at closer ranges.

I don't come to internet forums to argue, so if it seems like I'm ignoring your response, I am.

Last edited by Ronbo; 12-16-2010 at 02:04 AM.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:12 AM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroque View Post
Thanks Bill. I should of clarified that. I was just talking about birdshot.
I was taught at a trap shooters class and the first lesson was, "Point your finger at the number on the back of that trap house........Now without moving your hand bring you head down to your finger and look at what your finger is pointing at......It's pointing at dead center of that number isn't it?....Now trust your finger. If you are doing everything right and your index finger is not on the trigger and down the side of the receiver like it should be, your finger will point at the clay....Now point your shotgun at the clay."

Obviously I'm paraphrasing, I can't remember exactly what he said, but that was the point of his opener to his training session. I remember him saying over an over "You point a shotgun."

This precludes the defensive/slug loads. He was speaking of birdshot. Anyway this was how I was taught and how I have shot trap and sporting clays for years. If you were wondering I am pretty consistent with 24's in trap and 68's in SC.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 12-16-2010, 04:39 AM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I point, however the exception to this is skeet shooting. I feel its more of an aim with skeet.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:42 AM   #9

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

My 835 has two pin sights on it..so aiming is pretty much second nature. My 870 does not..so I more or less point it.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-16-2010, 04:53 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

You point a shotgun when wingshooting. You aim it when using it where a rifle would also be a logical choice for the job, i.e. deer hunting, anti-personnel, etc.