Pistol grip shot-gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Pistol grip shot-gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 06:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Pistol grip shot-gun

Looking for a cheap fun gun to shoot. I was checking out the Mossberg 500 "Road Blocker" with the heat shield and giant can (barrel stablizer) with 18.5'' barrel and 6 shot tube.

Honestly it looks kinda cool, more so it looks like a big joke since I doubt anything on it is very function but it still might be fun to shoot. Anyways the thing is like 400 dollars or more depending where you find it.

So I figure there has to be a fun, but cheap 12 gauge pisto grip out there. I dont mind buying aftermarket stocks either.

Does anyone have any reccomendations?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The cheapest pistol grip shotgun that I'm aware of is the Mossberg "cruiser" series. They come with 18.5 barrels and rear pistol grips.

I used to have rear pistol grip and actually found it MUCH better to have a top folder rear stock. that way you still have the short handling handiness of a pistol grip when folded, but also have all the advantages of a full stock when in open position, with either choice instantly available. My defensive practice scores shot way up when I switched to a top folder.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #3

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Got my Mossberg 500 for about $200 bucks brand new. Big 5 of all places. There are tons of tacticool accessories that can be had for not alot of money if you are looking for a cheap fun 12 gauge.

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 05-07-2009, 11:37 PM   #4

When and where did you buy it? This is something that I would be interested in owning.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:56 AM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool View Post
When and where did you buy it? This is something that I would be interested in owning.
Less than a year ago at the Big 5 in Thousand Oaks, CA. Check the Sunday paper for the Big 5 ads. Every once in a while there are some good deals on Mossberg's and Remmington's.

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 05-08-2009, 03:37 AM   #6

Thanks for the info!

Old 05-08-2009, 06:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
The cheapest pistol grip shotgun that I'm aware of is the Mossberg "cruiser" series. They come with 18.5 barrels and rear pistol grips.

I used to have rear pistol grip and actually found it MUCH better to have a top folder rear stock. that way you still have the short handling handiness of a pistol grip when folded, but also have all the advantages of a full stock when in open position, with either choice instantly available. My defensive practice scores shot way up when I switched to a top folder.
Makes sense. In your experience would you also get a pistol type grip on the pump as well. I am not sure what those handles are called

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs887 View Post
Got my Mossberg 500 for about $200 bucks brand new. Big 5 of all places. There are tons of tacticool accessories that can be had for not alot of money if you are looking for a cheap fun 12 gauge.
I guess Mossberg is still the way to go. Just get the cheap one and kinda build it up. I may go down and check big 5 tomorrow. Where is a good site to buy online? Other then thegunsource.com

Old 05-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #8

I am finding lots of aftermarket stuff for both the Mossy 500 and Remington 870

Shotgun Stocks

Which gun is more desired?

Old 05-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

ArrizX-I DO have a front pistol grip on my 870. My reasoning is this, even if I'm wounded in 1 shoulder/arm/hand, I'll still be able to operate the slide between shots with 1 hand (either hand) by pushing against something to rack slide back, then pulling to move slide forward. It also helps a lot on recoil control and "aiming" ease. Operating with 1 hand should be incorporated into serious training. I wish somebody would make more products for the Browning BPS pump-it features bottom feed, bottom eject, tang safety, and IMO is "more" shotgun than the Mossberg 500 or the Remington. Until then I'll stick with my actual police trade in Remington 870. I DO like the tang safety of the 500 but can't stand the rattly forend. I admit the Mossberg 500/590 is the "AK47 of the pump shotgun world" however.

Last edited by stalkingbear; 05-08-2009 at 03:17 PM.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #10

I am going to agree with that last statement you made.

I went to big 5, and another local store to look at shot guns. I checked out the Mossberg 500A with 8 round tube, and the Remington 870 Defense with 7 round tube.

I like the 870 more in almost every way. It feels just like a tank, rock solid action and everything I loved it. The only think I liked more about the Mossberg was the strap on the pump, but that wont matter when I get the front pistol grip anyways.

Overall consenus is that for the 50 dollars more ($400) that the 870 was, the mossberg was more or less a joke. Its a little out of my price range yet, but I am totally set on exactly what gun I want.