Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Pistol grip only shotgun 18 1/2 inch barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Pistol grip only shotgun 18 1/2 inch barrel

I live in Maryland and I am interested in removing the stock on my Remington 870 and turning it into a pistol-grip only shotgun. It currently has a 18 1/2 inch barrel. Is this configuration illegal/classified as an assault weapon or handgun?

Now I don't want to hear any of that banter about how pistol grip shotguns are of no tactical/practical value. I just want to make sure that I don't go to jail for having one.

Last edited by PineScent96; 09-15-2010 at 01:50 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2010, 11:29 PM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The FTF flunked it’s Bar exam.

Only a fool would seek legal advice from a public forum and has a fool for his counselor.

The only thing more stupid than sourcing legal advice from a public forum is providing said advice!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-14-2010, 11:35 PM   #3

Liked 116 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineScent96 View Post
I live in Anne Arundel County, Maryland and I am interested in removing the stock on my Remington 870 and turning it into a pistol-grip only shotgun. It currently has a 18 1/2 inch barrel. Is this configuration illegal/classified as an assault weapon or handgun?

Now I don't want to hear any of that banter about how pistol grip shotguns are of no tactical/practical value. I just want to make sure that I don't go to jail for having one.
The barrel is not illegal as far as the federal government is concerned,I believe a shotgun barrel can be as short as 18" and still be owned by a civilian,and is not considered an assault weapon either,but the pistol grip may or may not be considered by your individual state as a pistol.Like for me in Michigan,if I swap out my 870's buttstock for a pistol only grip or folding stock,I have to register it to the state as a pistol,I think some states go as far as saying if it has a normal buttstock that includes a pistol grip it is considered a pistol also.You need to check out your local laws on what is considered a pistol.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 09-15-2010, 01:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
The barrel is not illegal as far as the federal government is concerned,I believe a shotgun barrel can be as short as 18" and still be owned by a civilian,and is not considered an assault weapon either,but the pistol grip may or may not be considered by your individual state as a pistol.Like for me in Michigan,if I swap out my 870's buttstock for a pistol only grip or folding stock,I have to register it to the state as a pistol,I think some states go as far as saying if it has a normal buttstock that includes a pistol grip it is considered a pistol also.You need to check out your local laws on what is considered a pistol.
Thank's for the advice, it sounds too legally fuzzy so I'm going to avoid the hassle and stay away from doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
The FTF flunked it’s Bar exam.

Only a fool would seek legal advice from a public forum and has a fool for his counselor.

The only thing more stupid than sourcing legal advice from a public forum is providing said advice!

I didn't come here for some confuscius-say mumbo jumbo, I came here for an answer that I can use.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:59 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5304 Times on 2770 Posts
Likes Given: 334

Quote:

this is from:http://mlis.state.md.us/asp/statutes_Respond2.asp?article=gcr&section=4-201

(g) “Short–barreled shotgun” means:
(1) a shotgun that has one or more barrels less than 18 inches long; or
(2) a weapon that has an overall length of less than 26 inches long and was made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise.
(h) “Shotgun” means a weapon that is:
(1) designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder; and
(2) designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore one or more projectiles for each pull of the trigger.

since they are definiing a shortbarrel shotgun using oal i would say prolly not a good idea less its over 26" icould prolly dig further but i would say keep it over 26" should be ok but actually calling your local PD and asking would be a good idea. they cant arrest you for asking...

Old 09-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
I didn't come here for some confuscius-say mumbo jumbo, I came here for an answer that I can use.
Cane was only saying that you're getting into a grey area and that the internet isn't the best place to bank on when it comes to legal issues.

I personally believe a shotgun was intended to be shouldered and it should be left that way. You can turn corners and clear a room just was well with one shouldered as with a pistol grip and maintain better control. not to mention, beat the snot out of someone if you have to.

Welcome to the forum. Swing by the introduction area and let everyone know you're here.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #7

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
I didn't come here for some Confucius-say mumbo jumbo, I came here for an answer that I can use.

Welcome to the forum.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #8

Thank you for your help everyone.