Picking A Remington
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Picking A Remington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2014, 03:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default Picking A Remington

Yes, MrShotty is in the market for a shotgun. Who'd thunk?

Originally, I was a Mossberg fan and still enjoy them. However, I like the Remingtons versatility more (tube extensions that Mossberg cant do, for example). So, I think I will be switching over to a Remington.

Now, I've been deciding between 870 and 887. I've seen quite a few expresses rust easily (any of you had this?) and its not very appealing to get one.

So anyone with experience with an 887 nitromag? Because when 3" doesn't you how much of a man you are, theres 3.5". I've been wanting a 10ga, but if I can get a shotgun that'll shoot my stash of ammo plus 3.5", it's a compromise for me.

Thanks for the input!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2014, 06:23 AM   #2

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Best shotgun I had was a 70's production 1100. It was a modified choke round barrel, no rib. I shot a lot of doves with it.
The 870, I have now is slow and heavier, I think. Not near as good afit for me.
I hve a Mosberg 590 in that nickel finish and a S&W M&P in new condition ,from Viet Nam era. would be a bit hefty for hunting with. the S&W maybe not so much so.
The S&W 1100 look al like, has been out of production for a long time. If I find one it is going home with me.
Failing that, it is about time to get another 1100 or the new version in 3 1/2 in magnum version. I got a feeling it will be heavier and not the fit I want.
I hope the SOBs that stole my firearms in 76 are rotting somewhere.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #3

Liked 177 Times on 133 Posts

A lot of people don't like the 887. It feels different than the other Remingtons to me, and all the accessories for the 870 that you seem to want do NOT fit it. I have heard stories of problems, but all the ones I have seen did work okay.
They have made/make 3-1/2" capable 870s and 11-87s, and the new VersaMax. If I ever see one of the new wood tech VersaMaxes I may have to get one. They weigh about the same as an 1100/11-87, shoot anything from 3-1/2" Roman candles down to 1 ounce 2-3/4" light loads - some say even lighter, and do have a fair array of accessories available since Remington also offers tactical versions, including a pink camo (Horrors !!) Of course the 3-1/2" capable 870s will digest anything from 3-1/2" down to 2-3/4".
I have addressed a few "rusting" 870s. I don't think the factory bath gets all the bluing salts out of the rough finish all the time. I washed them thoroughly with warm soapy water, dried, and then oiled, and no more issues. Oil is NOT a solvent for bluing salts, but water is. The newer Expresses seem to have a much smoother finish as well in my opinion.

What could have happened... did.

People Like This 
Old 10-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #4

Liked 2216 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShotty View Post

Originally, I was a Mossberg fan and still enjoy them. However, I like the Remingtons versatility more (tube extensions that Mossberg cant do, for example). So, I think I will be switching over to a Remington.

Now, I've been deciding between 870 and 887. I've seen quite a few expresses rust easily (any of you had this?) and its not very appealing to get one.

So anyone with experience with an 887 nitromag? Because when 3" doesn't you how much of a man you are, theres 3.5". I've been wanting a 10ga, but if I can get a shotgun that'll shoot my stash of ammo plus 3.5", it's a compromise for me.

Thanks for the input!
You can get Carlsons choke tubes for a Mossberg. Carlsons choke tubes are some of the best choke tubes money can buy.

You do not want a 10 ga. I bought a 10ga Browning pump shotgun in the late 80's. I had problems finding high quality ammo for the 10ga. When I did find a box of buffered buckshot for the 10ga it did not pattern as well as my 12ga with 3" shells. The 10ga may do better with steel shot for waterfowl but it is not good for driving deer.

Last edited by John_Deer; 10-08-2014 at 11:32 AM.
MrShotty Likes This 
Old 10-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #5

Liked 328 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Wasn't crazy about the 887 I handled. My 25 year old 870 is a gun I love. No rusting issues over the years.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:55 AM   #6
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2077 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 4456

I love my 870, just wish I could get the range time.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:40 AM   #7
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1967 Times on 1212 Posts
Likes Given: 11172

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShotty View Post

Thanks for the input!
Your best option would probably br the 870 Super Magnum if you really must have a 3.5 inch 12 ga. The question is would you use it often enough to warrant buying a 3.5 incher?

I say go with the 3 inch 870 Magnum, strip it when you get it home, and give all of the parts a bath in some hot, soapy, water. Oil it after it dries, and you should have no rust issues at that point. I bought my 870 Express Magnum in 2006 as a used shotgun, and after a few thousand rounds in 8 years I still have had no issues with it. it has had a few accessories added to it ( if you add the mag exstention, remember too grind down the little bumps in the mag tube, or you will still only have a five shot) and all of the internals were smoothed out with a smithing stone for a smooter action. I still have the original slug barrel for it, but have added a 28 inch bird barrel and a second smoothbore slug barrel which I compensated, added tru-glow sights, and did a slight overbore to the chamber of. The best part of the 870 is that you can do so much to and with it through the aftermarket, truely making it your own.

I have handled the 887, and it just doesn't quite feel right to me. YMMV on that one.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

MrShotty Likes This 
Old 10-19-2014, 05:56 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1267 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 546

I have a 870 Police Magnum. It's never had a problem.

I don't know what additional utility the 3.5" shells give you such that the 3" shells would be inadequate.

Sell your stash of 10 gauge shells to help fund your new Remington.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:34 AM   #9

Liked 2216 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 820

You might find a used Wingmaster at a good price. I have 1970 something 20ga Wingmaster that is very pleasing gun to shoot. If you find an older Wingmaster the modern barrels with a screw in choke fit the older guns.

You will find the 31/2" shells do not pattern any better than 3" shells. I would pattern some 3 1/2" shells before I went out and bought a 3 1/2" gun. Unless you do a lot of duck hunting the 3 1/2" guns are heavy and cumbersome for no good reason.

I just checked gunwatcher there are plenty of used wingmasters at fair prices.

Last edited by John_Deer; 10-19-2014 at 06:45 AM.
People Like This 
Old 10-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
I have a 870 Police Magnum. It's never had a problem.

I don't know what additional utility the 3.5" shells give you such that the 3" shells would be inadequate.

Sell your stash of 10 gauge shells to help fund your new Remington.
I do not have a 10ga, just would like it.

Thanks for all the replies. I will just go with an 870.