Patterning

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Patterning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Patterning

Does a 20 gauge shotgun with full choke firing 3" shells containing 1 1/8 oz shot loaded to 3 drams equivalent, pattern tighter than a 12 gauge full choke firing 2 3/4 shells with the same 1 1/8 oz shot, 3 drams equivalent?

I thought (intuitively) that the 20 gauge would pattern tighter because the shot is coming through a smaller bore. However, I did a test fire using each of the above and they appeared the same. Or Could it be the loads or particular gun to cause my "equivalent results?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #2

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default Pattern

I think the same loads at a distance would prroduce a similar size pattern however the 12 bore would have a heavier concentration of shot but the 20 bore would certainly have a greater hitting power. Not my field really so would welcome any further input

Old 02-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quidproquo View Post
Does a 20 gauge shotgun with full choke firing 3" shells containing 1 1/8 oz shot loaded to 3 drams equivalent, pattern tighter than a 12 gauge full choke firing 2 3/4 shells with the same 1 1/8 oz shot, 3 drams equivalent?

I thought (intuitively) that the 20 gauge would pattern tighter because the shot is coming through a smaller bore. However, I did a test fire using each of the above and they appeared the same. Or Could it be the loads or particular gun to cause my "equivalent results?
What is a dram? Or for that matter, what is a cubit?

Depending on distance and shot size (not weight), one can get different gauge shottys to pattern just about the same. What is the purpose for your patterning? Hunting or defense? Plus, steel shot, lead shot, other? Lots o' questions.

While you think about it, how about stopping by the Introductions thread and telling us a little about yourself.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Last edited by skullcrusher; 02-11-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: added everything after While.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:25 PM   #4

Both loads were #6 lead shot. Both guns had 28" barrels. Purpose is hunting. 3 dram equivalent load means the powder load will produce 1200 fps muzzle velocity. Purpose to my question is should I be going to a more open choke (IM or M) when I use my 20 gauge.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Both should "pattern" nearly the same (althouigh every gun is slightly different in pattering and can be better with one load or another)--the only real difference is that the shot string on the 20 gauge is a little longer than the 12 given the same shot weight. Some pro skeet shooters (I'm not one of them) can tell the difference, however, for hunting I'm not sure anyone would ever notice (especially the birds).

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 02-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
What is a dram? Or for that matter, what is a cubit?

Depending on distance and shot size (not weight), one can get different gauge shottys to pattern just about the same. What is the purpose for your patterning? Hunting or defense? Plus, steel shot, lead shot, other? Lots o' questions.

While you think about it, how about stopping by the Introductions thread and telling us a little about yourself.

cubit = length of a man's forearm or about 12 inches...though opinions vary.

As far as the pattern goes, I doubt you'll see much difference. The 20 gauge with be strung a bit more as mentioned so the 12 might "hit" harder since more pellets will hit at once. What are you going to be shooting at?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer