Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Patterning (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/patterning-23309/)

quidproquo 02-11-2010 09:49 PM

Patterning

Does a 20 gauge shotgun with full choke firing 3" shells containing 1 1/8 oz shot loaded to 3 drams equivalent, pattern tighter than a 12 gauge full choke firing 2 3/4 shells with the same 1 1/8 oz shot, 3 drams equivalent?

I thought (intuitively) that the 20 gauge would pattern tighter because the shot is coming through a smaller bore. However, I did a test fire using each of the above and they appeared the same. Or Could it be the loads or particular gun to cause my "equivalent results?

Davyboy 02-11-2010 10:00 PM

Pattern

I think the same loads at a distance would prroduce a similar size pattern however the 12 bore would have a heavier concentration of shot but the 20 bore would certainly have a greater hitting power. Not my field really so would welcome any further input

skullcrusher 02-11-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quidproquo (Post 229045)
Does a 20 gauge shotgun with full choke firing 3" shells containing 1 1/8 oz shot loaded to 3 drams equivalent, pattern tighter than a 12 gauge full choke firing 2 3/4 shells with the same 1 1/8 oz shot, 3 drams equivalent?

I thought (intuitively) that the 20 gauge would pattern tighter because the shot is coming through a smaller bore. However, I did a test fire using each of the above and they appeared the same. Or Could it be the loads or particular gun to cause my "equivalent results?

What is a dram? Or for that matter, what is a cubit? :p

Depending on distance and shot size (not weight), one can get different gauge shottys to pattern just about the same. What is the purpose for your patterning? Hunting or defense? Plus, steel shot, lead shot, other? Lots o' questions.

While you think about it, how about stopping by the Introductions thread and telling us a little about yourself.

quidproquo 02-11-2010 11:25 PM

Both loads were #6 lead shot. Both guns had 28" barrels. Purpose is hunting. 3 dram equivalent load means the powder load will produce 1200 fps muzzle velocity. Purpose to my question is should I be going to a more open choke (IM or M) when I use my 20 gauge.

Missileman 02-12-2010 02:21 PM

Both should "pattern" nearly the same (althouigh every gun is slightly different in pattering and can be better with one load or another)--the only real difference is that the shot string on the 20 gauge is a little longer than the 12 given the same shot weight. Some pro skeet shooters (I'm not one of them) can tell the difference, however, for hunting I'm not sure anyone would ever notice (especially the birds).

spittinfire 02-12-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 229056)
What is a dram? Or for that matter, what is a cubit? :p

Depending on distance and shot size (not weight), one can get different gauge shottys to pattern just about the same. What is the purpose for your patterning? Hunting or defense? Plus, steel shot, lead shot, other? Lots o' questions.

While you think about it, how about stopping by the Introductions thread and telling us a little about yourself.

cubit = length of a man's forearm or about 12 inches...though opinions vary.

As far as the pattern goes, I doubt you'll see much difference. The 20 gauge with be strung a bit more as mentioned so the 12 might "hit" harder since more pellets will hit at once. What are you going to be shooting at?