Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > parkerized finish little rust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default parkerized finish little rust

I just bought an 1100 Remington for 320$ synthetic only had about 20 shots ran through it. But when I look closely at the receiver and im assuming this is parkerized finish that matte I may be mistaken. I can see a few little dots, they are not fully rust, but I have a feeling that it is the beginning stages. Anyone have some suggestions on what might help me to prevent it from getting worse or even better eliminating the spots.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #2

Liked 128 Times on 98 Posts

The only Remington 1100s I have seen that were genuine Parkerized were the SP models back in the 80s. They were 3" Magnums and had dull walnut stocks, sling swivels, and a camo sling. The black synthetic models with the matte finish are just flash blued over a bead blasted surface. Often rust gets an easy start because they did not wash all the bluing salts off, which is exacerbated by the matte finish. I would strip it down and wash the parts in a hot soapy dish soap solution. Oil is not a solvent for bluing salts. Use an old toothbrush and scrub. Dry well and anything that looks like rust, hit it with WD-40 and some 000 steel wool just enough to get the rust off. Then spray down the entire gun with WD-40, RemOil, Breakfree, or G-96, and wipe off the excess. I have addressed a couple of Remingtons that were being cussed at for rusting this way and the problems have not returned. If it gets wet, dry it good, and re oil and wipe. For salt water, wash it again. If that seems like too much trouble, Rustoleum comes in flat or satin black and works. Good luck.
P.S - WD-40 will not gum up unless you slather it on and do not wipe it off.

What could have happened... did.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #3

Thank you for the helpful information. I will be looking into this because I want to bite it in the butt before it gets out of hand. Question and it may be a dumb one. You said strip strip it down, you recommend down to just the receiver with no internal parts including the trigger mechanism ect, and when you stip these you cannot take the gas tube off of the receiver right? Then a following question and I am sure this is why you said lightly sand with steel wool. But will using a steel wool lighten the protective finish if I am sanding on it?

Old 03-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #4

Liked 128 Times on 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghamm117 View Post
You said strip strip it down, you recommend down to just the receiver with no internal parts including the trigger mechanism ect, and when you stip these you cannot take the gas tube off of the receiver right?
Correct. Take it down as much as you can. The water won't hurt as long as you don't leave it on. A hair dryer set on high a couple of feet away will dry things good.
Then a following question and I am sure this is why you said lightly sand with steel wool. But will using a steel wool lighten the protective finish if I am sanding on it? Yes, so go real slow and easy. If the rust is light, you should be able to remove only the rust.
Hope that helps.

What could have happened... did.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #5

Thank You for all the help I will be hopefully taking care of this issue ASAP.