Palmetto Arms
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Palmetto Arms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 03:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Palmetto Arms

I have a 12 ga. shot gun passed down from my great grandfather, to my grandfather, to my late father, & now to me . I was just curious to know approximately the value of it. It's very sentimental to me but I'm curious about it. I know it was made in the late 1800's & it's so old it doesn't even have serial numbers. This group as a whole seems to be very knowledgeable about firearms, if you can shed any light on the situation please reply & thanks alot. Oh yeah it was made by Palmetto firearms & catalog ordered from a hardware store here in Ga.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience." ~

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-23-2010, 03:31 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Really? any info would help.please,please,please,please,please.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience." ~

Old 06-23-2010, 04:27 AM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I really don't know the value. I don't see it on my price guide. The few I've seen didn't sell real high though. But they were not in the best shape either.

Maybe check out the gun auctions and see if any are selling at the moment.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2993 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 278

"I can't tell you which retail store carried the Palmetto Arms trade name but four manufacturers have made them these include the Crescent Fire Arms Co., The W.H. Davenport Arms Co., The J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. and the Hopkins & Allen Arms Co."

I got this off Shotgunworld.com

Other sources seem to mirror this explanation.

"Palmetto was a trade name used by Edward K Tryon of Philadelphia on lower grade revolvers and shotguns sold thru hardware stores, c.1880 - 1914 <<>>> Palmetto Arms Co was actually a trade name used by the Tryon Hardware/Catalog company in Philadelphia between around 1900-1925. The shotgun was made by one of a few different manufacturers such as Crescent Firearms, Hopkins & Allen or Stevens.

Value is mainly as a decoration. Generally considered unsafe to shoot with modern ammunition. "

This is from the Marlin owners forum.

Serial numbers were not required on firearms until 1968. Few long guns had serial numbers prior to that, even very high end guns.

Very good bet it has a "twist steel" or maybe a "damascus steel" barrel and was made for black powder or very early LOW PRESSURE ammo. DO NOT shoot modern ammo in it, even low velocity, low brass ammo.

In very good condition it might be worth $150. Probably has zero $ value. I cannot imagine there is any collector interest. Keep it clean and well oiled. Hang it on the wall and pass it down as a family heirloom.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-25-2010, 02:30 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
"I can't tell you which retail store carried the Palmetto Arms trade name but four manufacturers have made them these include the Crescent Fire Arms Co., The W.H. Davenport Arms Co., The J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. and the Hopkins & Allen Arms Co."

I got this off Shotgunworld.com

Other sources seem to mirror this explanation.

"Palmetto was a trade name used by Edward K Tryon of Philadelphia on lower grade revolvers and shotguns sold thru hardware stores, c.1880 - 1914 <<>>> Palmetto Arms Co was actually a trade name used by the Tryon Hardware/Catalog company in Philadelphia between around 1900-1925. The shotgun was made by one of a few different manufacturers such as Crescent Firearms, Hopkins & Allen or Stevens.

Value is mainly as a decoration. Generally considered unsafe to shoot with modern ammunition. "

This is from the Marlin owners forum.

Serial numbers were not required on firearms until 1968. Few long guns had serial numbers prior to that, even very high end guns.

Very good bet it has a "twist steel" or maybe a "damascus steel" barrel and was made for black powder or very early LOW PRESSURE ammo. DO NOT shoot modern ammo in it, even low velocity, low brass ammo.

In very good condition it might be worth $150. Probably has zero $ value. I cannot imagine there is any collector interest. Keep it clean and well oiled. Hang it on the wall and pass it down as a family heirloom.
Thank you for the info,I was just curious. My dad passed away last year & it ain't goin' anywhere until I give it to one of my babies.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:03 AM   #6

i would just google it . sounds old sorry i hope u find some info