over and under versus...

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > over and under versus...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default over and under versus...

Whats the difference if you were trying to shoot clay pidgeons with an over and under shotgun versus if you used one where the barrels are lined up horizontally? Whats the name for a regular shotgun with barrels lined up horizontally? Does the line-up of the barrel affect the output spray of the gun to a noticeable degree?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2007, 02:58 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default over under

I have always been able to hit/shoot a LOT better with a over under as opposed to a double barrel shotgun. For one thing,the deeper balance and center of gravity helps me as well as the barrels always tended to distract me.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:54 AM   #3

My preference is a sideXside. I don't think it makes any difference in shot pattern. Full, mod, IC choke is the same on any gun or barrell. It's just which one you like the most.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:26 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The only real difference is what you see when you look down the barrels. With an O/U you have a much narrower line to sight with. With the S/S you have to rember that the bird has to be in the middle of that big wide thing in frount of you.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 01-04-2008, 12:22 AM   #5

There has been debate about SxS and O/U for years. It comes down to preference and balance. The main argument I always heard was that the SxS pulls left and right whereas the OU just pushes you back.. I've seen people use both guns with equal success in hunting situations. However you will not find many competitors shooting the clay games with a SxS. Maybe there is some creedence to the discussion. If you can put shot on target, use whatever you like.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:14 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I never look at the barrels when i shoot sporting clays, I'm only watching the bird and thats all I see, learned this way since i was a kid and have done pretty good at it

Old 01-06-2008, 02:16 AM   #7
Cub

Default Over & Under versus Side by Side

I use them both to hunt with, but I find the over & under is more balanced. Just the right fit as you pull up the shotgun. Great for clay shooting.