Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Over under question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/over-under-question-52017/)

rferguson61 11-18-2011 12:17 AM

Over under question

Has anyone ever heard of an over under that swings open instead of breaks open? So it pivots on the Y axis as opposed to like all the ones out there that pivot on the X axis.

ScottA 11-18-2011 04:56 AM

I don't think I've ever heard of any break action that operates in that fashion. :confused:

dunerunner 11-18-2011 05:17 AM

I've never seen or heard of one.....Doesn't mean sombody never built one though!

rferguson61 11-18-2011 06:33 AM

I couldn't find one anywhere but I thought I would ask people with more experience. It is now my goal to make one before I die. Question number two: is there any legal issues with me doing said project. If I bought an over under and changed it up that way.

c3shooter 11-18-2011 08:48 AM

From a Federal standpoint, it is perfectly legal to build a firearm FOR YOUR OWWN USE. For sale is another matter. It cannot be a short barreled shotgun, etc, without first doing paperwork with the ATF, etc.

There HAVE been shotguns that the barrels rotated to load, swung sideways, slid forward, etc ad infinitum. However, each design had a weakness that became more pronounced with wear, was more expensive to machine, etc.

Just when you think that "Naw, no one ever made that" you do some research, and find that, yep, SOMEONE did that. Was in the NRA National Firearms Museum a week ago, First gun you come to is a double barreled, side by side rifle- that is a BOLT action. Operating the handle operates a double bolt, loads two barrels at once. Double triggers, one ejector throws the empty left, the other throws it right. Wierder than sox on a rooster- but someone made one- and it IS a beautiful rifle.

rferguson61 11-18-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
From a Federal standpoint, it is perfectly legal to build a firearm FOR YOUR OWWN USE. For sale is another matter. It cannot be a short barreled shotgun, etc, without first doing paperwork with the ATF, etc.

There HAVE been shotguns that the barrels rotated to load, swung sideways, slid forward, etc ad infinitum. However, each design had a weakness that became more pronounced with wear, was more expensive to machine, etc.

Just when you think that "Naw, no one ever made that" you do some research, and find that, yep, SOMEONE did that. Was in the NRA National Firearms Museum a week ago, First gun you come to is a double barreled, side by side rifle- that is a BOLT action. Operating the handle operates a double bolt, loads two barrels at once. Double triggers, one ejector throws the empty left, the other throws it right. Wierder than sox on a rooster- but someone made one- and it IS a beautiful rifle.

That sound really cool! So what do you think a weakness would be for this design?

hiwall 11-18-2011 11:33 PM

Sounds like some of the Colt single shot derringer's action. The back of the barrels were rounded where they met the breech(which was rounded to match). Some just had spring loaded extractors and some extractors were linked to the pivot to extract.

JonM 11-19-2011 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rferguson61 (Post 630856)
That sound really cool! So what do you think a weakness would be for this design?

awkwardness. human arms dont naturally work that way. thats why breach loaders break the way they do.

c3shooter 11-19-2011 06:24 AM

Possible weakness- metal to metal lockup at the pivot point- and how does it cock? Ones I saw from the 1800s were external hammer. The break open uses leverage to reset firing pins. If pins are still extended when you try to swing sideways, drag on the base of shells.

rferguson61 12-30-2011 05:19 AM

It would be no different than a side by side with how it closed...?