Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Ouch! Me no likey shotgun pistol grip...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I put a hogue on mine as well no issues at all maybe you should change your setup

Old 09-28-2011, 02:16 AM   #12

Likes Given: 7

[QUOTE=RufusTFirefly;586958]I recently bought a pistol grip for my Maverick 88, and went out to shoot it in that config for the first time today. I was firing #7-1/2 and some #4. Wow! was I surprised. The web of my hand was taking a severe beating on each shot. It didn't matter how firmly I gripped, it was all the same. Definitely took all the fun out of shooting that thing.

On a side note, the other drag about the pistol grip, is it makes it very difficult/awkward to get to the bolt release lever.

That's enough for me- I'm going back to my trusty shoulder stock.

Not sure if it true, but I heard the only reason for a pistol grip was that in the 90's CA bought a cheap police car that only a pistol grip shot gun would fit in. Almost all police are now trained to shoulder a shot gun for any sort of accuracy.

-Bob

Old 09-28-2011, 04:31 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
They look cool when the 105 pound Hollywood chicks blow the bad guys away with blanks. That's where they are best utilized in my opinion.
This.

Unless you are hiding it in an extremely limited space, or have no intention of using it as an actual weapon, pistol-grips are entirely Hollywood. I mean, a collapsing stock adds like 5" to the gun over a PGO setup (seriously, with a PG most shotguns are like 30" long, whereas with a 13" LOP my 18.5" M590A1 was about 38" long--a collapsable stock will remove another 3" from that OAL for a collapsed length of 35". So, unless a 35" gun truly won't fit where you're hiding it, compactness isn't the big deal.

As far as compactness indoors. For that split second where you're passing through a doorway or rounding a corner, it isn't at all difficult to tuck the stock under the strong-side arm for the exact same compactness as a PGO setup. Then, you can immediately re-shoulder the weapon and have vastly increased ability to aim and shoot rapidly.

The only people who are really justified in using PGO setups are our military, but that's because they are only using a short-barreled version to blow open a door, after which they sling it and re-ready their M4s.

But, there are lots of people who just think they are cool or who have justified them in one way or another who will hate this post. But, spend some time over in "The Basement" of ShotgunWorld and you won't find a single person who has ever used shotguns for serious purposes advocate a PGO setup (except for door-breaching).

Old 09-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 for the Rogue Tamer. Its overmolded with tacky rubber goodness.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #15

I think jus depends on the person. My moss 600 has pistol grip top folding stock. I have no issues with it hurting my hands. True u can place a normal stock under ur arm jus the same. If u shoot pistold then pistol is jus nstural.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusTFirefly View Post
I recently bought a pistol grip for my Maverick 88, and went out to shoot it in that config for the first time today. I was firing #7-1/2 and some #4. Wow! was I surprised. The web of my hand was taking a severe beating on each shot. It didn't matter how firmly I gripped, it was all the same. Definitely took all the fun out of shooting that thing.

On a side note, the other drag about the pistol grip, is it makes it very difficult/awkward to get to the bolt release lever.

That's enough for me- I'm going back to my trusty shoulder stock.

Rufus
Pistol grip certainly not my favorite. Weight too lopsided.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

+1 for the Blackhawk spec ops stock with recoil reducing springs. Well worth the money and you get the adjustability of an m4 style stock. I didn't care for the mossberg pistol grip either. Hope this helps. :-)

Old 11-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Full size, full power, magnum, hunting, trap or buckshot loads can be a real pain, especially with a 12 gauge.

Reduced recoil buckshot or 2" buckshot loadings are very controllable and more comfortable to fire with a pistol gripped shotgun if a person is interested in home defense or social work.

You get greater magazine capacity as a bonus too.

I stocked up on these (below) for home defense a couple years ago.
Please don't enter my home uninvited in the wee hours.

Be Well.

Last edited by neilage66; 11-13-2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: stuff

Old 11-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19517 Times on 11079 Posts
Likes Given: 49147

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilage66 View Post
Full size, full power, magnum, hunting, trap or buckshot loads can be a real pain, especially with a 12 gauge.

Reduced recoil buckshot or 2" buckshot loadings are very controllable and more comfortable to fire with a pistol gripped shotgun if a person is interested in home defense or social work.

You get greater magazine capacity as a bonus too.

I stocked up on these (below) for home defense a couple years ago.
Please don't enter my home uninvited in the wee hours.

neil, where did you buy those at? those look interesting enough to want to try out.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

axxe55, I found some here: AMM-822 - Ammo 12 Gauge Centurion 2" Buckshot Plastic Wad 6 Pellets 1250 fps 10 Round Box
neilage66: thanks for bring them to our attention

Rufus