Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Ouch! Me no likey shotgun pistol grip... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/ouch-me-no-likey-shotgun-pistol-grip-48828/)

RufusTFirefly 09-26-2011 02:07 AM

Ouch! Me no likey shotgun pistol grip...

I recently bought a pistol grip for my Maverick 88, and went out to shoot it in that config for the first time today. I was firing #7-1/2 and some #4. Wow! was I surprised. The web of my hand was taking a severe beating on each shot. It didn't matter how firmly I gripped, it was all the same. Definitely took all the fun out of shooting that thing.

On a side note, the other drag about the pistol grip, is it makes it very difficult/awkward to get to the bolt release lever.

That's enough for me- I'm going back to my trusty shoulder stock.

Rufus

Boyerracing343 09-26-2011 02:24 AM

What brand pistol grip do you have? I have a hogue tamer and i shoot 3'' high brass slugs and buck shot out of my mossberg with no issues. Sure it kicks a little bit but hey that's expected. I have also broken both of my wrists and both of my arms ( bad breaks also) and it doesn't bother me too much.

Either way though, bummer that you are not satisfied with your grip.

RufusTFirefly 09-26-2011 02:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's the OEM Mossberg grip...

Mitch 09-26-2011 03:35 AM

You could always get a side folding pistol grip stock. Best of both worlds. Mine is six position adjustable and folds next the receiver when i want to go compact. Just a thought.

Axxe55 09-26-2011 03:35 AM

rufus i put one on a remington 870 several years ago, hated that thing. went back to the OEM stock! some people like them, some don't.

Virginian 09-26-2011 06:27 AM

They look cool when the 105 pound Hollywood chicks blow the bad guys away with blanks. That's where they are best utilized in my opinion.

RufusTFirefly 09-26-2011 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch (Post 587018)
You could always get a side folding pistol grip stock. Best of both worlds. Mine is six position adjustable and folds next the receiver when i want to go compact. Just a thought.

Mitch, thanks, I did consider that. But I'm a very no frills/bare bones kind of guy when it comes to firearms. I like to keep it simple. I don't care for all the bling and fancy accessories. I'm afraid it will just be a distraction and get in the way if the S ever HTF.

Rufus

NOVA 09-26-2011 11:26 AM

Going back to regular stock sounds like the right thing to do for you, but if ever you want to try a different set up I can tell you I am happy with my Spec Ops Black Hawk recoil suppression stock - comes with pistol grip so its a good combination. Does not hurt me at all - I could shoot all day with that set up.

rab 09-27-2011 12:00 AM

Ati

I just got an ATI from Combat Optical for my NEF Pardner Pump 12(870 clone):

Start;
SKU: A.5.10.2351
Remington 870 Shotgun Talon Rear Pistol Grip ...Special Offer!

ATI Talon Shotgun Rear Pistol Grip for 12 Gauge Remington 870 Shotguns The NEW Talon Shotgun Rear Pistol Grip features the Triton Mount System and the Scorpion Recoil Pistol Grip.

•Scorpion Recoil System

Recoil impact is absorbed - Shooting anything from a 3.5” magnum turkey load to a door breaching load can now be done with no pain being transferred to the shooter Reduces the challenge to reacquire the target by minimizing the muzzle lift Not affected by chemicals, load size or extreme temperatures Eliminates the punch of the recoil Removes limitations from spring and piston type recoil suppression systems Absorbs the energy wave regardless of the load size which makes it perfect for any type of Firearm.

•Triton Mount System
• Constructed of Military Type III Anodized, 6061 T6 Aluminum
• Securely fasten your ATI Tactical Stock or Rear Pistol Grip with No Specialized Tools
• Angled, Self-Aligning Dovetail Locking System for easy, secure installation
• Interchangeable Sling Mount locations for left- and right-handed shooters
• Additional Spacer for when sling mounts are not in use
• Eliminates the Need for Extra Adapters
• DuPont® Extreme Temperature Glass Reinforced Polymer
• Manufactured in the USA
• Limited Lifetime Warranty

Fits: Fits: 12 Gauge Remington 870
end;

It fits just fine. I has a strange semi-jell portion on the back of the grip. I should be able to get out and try it shortly. Will include a pic when I do.

RufusTFirefly 09-27-2011 12:05 AM

Thanks rab... I'll be interested to hear your results.

Rufus