Optics in a Shotgun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Optics in a Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
It really comes down to what makes the user more comfortable at aquiring the sight. Many people like the red dot because it is easy to gain a sight picture quickly. Now, it is my own opinion that if a red dot is used, the user needs to be very familiar with the sight. Turning it on to level 10 in low light will not help, and fumbling with the sight dial can take up valuable seconds.
+1000 on all points, especially the last one. I put the Millet red-dot back on my GF's, and it is a great piece for the money, but if I were serious about going the optic route (I only put it on there to try out), I would go with nothing less than one of the Aimpoints that can go years on a battery, and would simply leave it on and change the battery at regular intervals (every 6 months, every year, etc). That way the sight is ready when you are, not to mention it is going to be durable enough for all but the most rough handling.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #12

Optics on an HD shotgun are a waste of money. That optic on that shotgun, with that stock is nearly useless. That stock does not allow for a steady shoulder mount, as a result, with a pistol grip shotgun ther will always be signifigant movement.
The red dot suggests a single projectile. The pistol grip on a shotgun is just not user friendly for single projectile accuracy.
IMHO, lose the red dot and that is a nice shotgun for HD.

"My thinker must be broken"

Old 02-18-2010, 01:26 AM   #13

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
I don’t see any optics helping with a pistol grip like that.. When you fold out the stock OK but putting a pistol grip shotgun up to the face?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobpissypants View Post
That optic on that shotgun, with that stock is nearly useless. That stock does not allow for a steady shoulder mount, as a result, with a pistol grip shotgun ther will always be signifigant movement.
The red dot suggests a single projectile. The pistol grip on a shotgun is just not user friendly for single projectile accuracy.
If you look carefully you will notice that is a foldaway stock.... not a pistol grip...
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 02-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmelEduardo View Post
If you look carefully you will notice that is a foldaway stock.... not a pistol grip...
MY mistake. Still the optic is overkill, unless shooting slugs. Sorry about my mistake, though.
Oh, yeah, It's a cool shotgun.

"My thinker must be broken"

Old 02-19-2010, 05:50 AM   #15

No sights needed for a home defense shotgun.
At most I would put a light on mine. In fact I'll be putting a light on mine as soon as I can afford to buy a new shotty and light.