Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Optics in a Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Optics in a Shotgun

This morning I visited an uncle that show me his new (new to him) Mossberg 500, 18.5" barrel (beautiful thing), he brought it from a friend leaving the country... what it caught my attention was the Tasco red dot (>30mm).... I think that a red dot is a great help in home defense and/or low light situations... What do you think is the best red dot for this purpose? Do you think that shotgun optics are useful in home defense?

Exactly this setup without heatshield and fiber optic.

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Last edited by AsmelEduardo; 02-15-2010 at 09:57 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2010, 12:52 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Opinion follows... nooooooooooooo! At least for self defense shotgun, no optic. Ghost ring at most, but usually just the standard bead will be sufficient.
Again, just my opinion.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:06 AM   #3

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Asmel, I think it's overkill. In close quarters, I would think the shotgun would do the job without much need for precise aiming....just my opinion!

Old 02-16-2010, 01:25 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I guess I'm the loaner on this one...if there is a chance that another family member might happen to be the one that has to pick up the shotgun, then the red-dot could be useful to them. For myself, I like ghost rings. But at night, ghost rings don't do you much good unless you have a front bead that glows in the dark to give you something to line up with. We (the family) has practiced what to do in the event that something goes "bump" in the night, has gotten past the alarm and the dogs, ie- the kaka is about to hit the fan. Interesting to note, they were faster acquiring a target with a red-dot than with the ghost rings, especially if it is a high-stress situation, or waking up out of a deep sleep. And some of the red dots offer multiple reticles, so they can pick which one works best for them, easiest to use, etc. One thing we did do, is turn down the brightness of the dot, almost to "off". The reason being it was easier on the eyes, less distracting, while still offering a good target picture.

I do have an Insight Arcturus flashlight mounted to my handguard, that offers 120 lumen output on high beam, but also has a STROBE setting to blind just about anyone in a dark house (except the person holding it). It also has the crenelated crown, to get anyone's attention if you poke them with it.

But, hey...go with whatever works best for you, and what you feel most comfortable with. And if anyone else in the house is going to use it, make sure they are comfortable with "how" it works, too.

Slo

Old 02-16-2010, 03:15 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I put a red-dot on my shotgun that came with Ghost-rings. Even without the dot on, the front sight will "co-witness" with the dot's tube, almost acting like a coarse aperture sight. But, with the dot on, aiming is much faster than even with the GRSs, and not to mention easier.

The co-witnessing is what sold me on it. I get the advantage of the optics, but get the utility of open sights.

And btw, this was more to get better aiming at distances more like 10+ yards, while keeping good accuracy for slugs. For HD I probably wouldn't even bother turning on the dot as the longest I'll have to shoot in the next few years will be like 5 yards inside my home, and I can point-shoot at least to that point. If it were more like a "defend the castle" situation where I knew it was coming (heard shots in the hallway, or there was rioting going on or whatever), I would probably go ahead and turn on the dot. But either way, with the way it's set up now I could easily be as accurate (with slugs) as with a bead if the dot was lost (battery failure, electronics failure, or even if it was severely knocked off zero). So really the only way I'd end up worse off would be if somehow the whole dot got knocked off (which would obviously be pretty hard, heh).

*edit*

Though at the same time I am still contemplating going back to the plain GRSs just for the greater simplicity. The way they are designed, I know I could drop it off the back of a truck and the receiver would probably break before the sights got significantly damaged or misaligned. And that definitely inspires some confidence.

Last edited by Lindenwood; 02-16-2010 at 04:02 AM.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:04 AM   #6

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

I use the KISS philosophy. My tactical HD shotgun is strictly point, pump and shoot, with no optics. I have enough night lights throughout my home in bedrooms, hallways, stairway, living and dinning rooms, that I am never in complete darkness, giving me recognizable visibility. I have motion detector lights on all sides of the exterior of the house and a night activated exterior flood light.

There are only the two of us in the home, so anything walking on two legs that succeeds in breeching the exterior/interior perimeter, alarm system, and the dogs, will be met with extreme prejudice and resistance. YMMV, to each his own. Nice looking shotty, Asmel.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-16-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2547 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Personally, I think there is more of a need for a good white light mounted on the HD shotgun. Target identification is vitally important unless you live alone. Imagine the horror of killing a friend or family member that you "thought" was an intruder.

For those who call the shotgun a point and click weapon, take some realistic measurements inside your home where a shot is likely. Then pattern your gun at those ranges. You may be surprised how tight the pattern is. You can miss at 12 feet.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Heh, I put the GhostRing rear back on last night.

But still, optics on a shotgun with a scope larger than just HD can be practical. But, I am going to try to accomodate as much as I can with the GRSs and see how limited I am with them after a while.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I don’t see any optics helping with a pistol grip like that.. When you fold out the stock OK but putting a pistol grip shotgun up to the face?

I have a HD shotgun with folding stock and agree with Robo the tactical light is most important. I went the extra and put a light laser on mine. The GF may grab it and the laser sight works from the hip and helps her a lot.

[IMG][/IMG]

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 02-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

It really comes down to what makes the user more comfortable at aquiring the sight. Many people like the red dot because it is easy to gain a sight picture quickly. Now, it is my own opinion that if a red dot is used, the user needs to be very familiar with the sight. Turning it on to level 10 in low light will not help, and fumbling with the sight dial can take up valuable seconds.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!