Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > opinions on speedbead?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default opinions on speedbead?

just yalls 2 cents on the speedbead ...it will go on my utility rem 870 .i know the ads talk about wingshooting ..would it fit the bill just for general defense ,hog hunting .i dont know how rugged the unit would be. the 870 is 12 3'' with ati pistolgrip buttstock ,barrel cut to 19.5 with polychoke installed .

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-11-2011, 12:20 AM   #2

Liked 4450 Times on 2348 Posts
Likes Given: 254

my opinion shotguns dont need sights less your shooting slugs at deer bear pigs or paper.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-11-2011, 03:01 AM   #3

Liked 101 Times on 77 Posts

Regardless of what they tell you, a true optical sight on a shotgun is a great advantage, wingshooting or otherwise. The target and the dot are in the same focal plane and you don't have to take your eye off the target to look for the dot, it's right out there with the target. I shot an old naturally illuminated Weaver Qwik-Point for several years, and it worked great, when it worked. But it was heavy, bulky, usless in the rain, snow, or fog, and I had tons of mount issues. The SpeedBead looked ideal to me; light and handy and small, but I have also heard of mount concerns with them, so I have held off. But I am still tempted. If I could bring myself to tap the receiver, I would get one of the ones that mounts that way, but I can't bring myself to do it to a shotgun.

What could have happened... did.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:43 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

for a defense or hog hunting gun i can definitely see an advantage, but if i put optics on my duck gun they'd never let me hear the end of it!

Old 01-11-2011, 05:00 AM   #5

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default to ta 1588

duck /geese any type of wingshooting ...thats why i have a super x 2 . thanks powg

Old 01-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #6

Liked 101 Times on 77 Posts

They had a lot to say about it when I went goose hunting in Maryland with it years ago, but after they saw me smoking some at 80 yards they were sure looking at it differently. I even played around with some occluded sight shooting and it still worked. That's where you block the sight tube on the sight, and you see the target with your left eye (right handed) and the dot with your left eye. That even amazed me. Got a 24 in skeet that way once.

What could have happened... did.