Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Opinion on the best pump shotgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/opinion-best-pump-shotgun-55519/)

97cobra 01-15-2012 03:44 AM

Opinion on the best pump shotgun

I'm just kind of curious as to what y'all think is the best pump shotgun and why.

Sonic82 01-15-2012 03:47 AM

are you a lefty? I have a Browning BPS and think it's great. Bottom eject so it's great for left handed shooters. I'm not lefty..I just have it because I like it :)

JonM 01-15-2012 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97cobra (Post 677419)
I'm just kind of curious as to what y'all think is the best pump shotgun and why.

my preference is for mossberg pump actions. ive got a 590A1 and an 835 with ported barrel. once they are broke in (about 250 shots or so) the action turns butter smooth. the safeties are on the top where they should be. the bolt release is under the action left rear near the trigger guard where it should be. they are just ergonomically correct.

Axxe55 01-15-2012 04:17 AM

my first choice would be the remington 870 pump, just because it's been around and is a good design that just works, nothing fancy, just gets it done.

second would be the mossberg 500, pretty much the same as the remington, just a good workhorse no frills nice shotgun.

Shoobee 01-15-2012 05:04 AM

Mossberg. Because their barrels are interchangeable. Therefore you can use 1 shotgun for 3 different activities. (1) as a short barrel defense gun, (2) as a long barrel bird gun, and (2) as a rifled slug gun with really good accuracy.

lawman30 01-15-2012 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoobee
Mossberg. Because their barrels are interchangeable. Therefore you can use 1 shotgun for 3 different activities. (1) as a short barrel defense gun, (2) as a long barrel bird gun, and (2) as a rifled slug gun with really good accuracy.

You can do the same with a Remington also.. I've got different barrels for my 870

ninjatoth 01-15-2012 06:07 AM

I like the Remington 870,it's safety is exactly where it was on my first bb gun,it just feels natural to me,but Mossberg is no less of a shotgun,I guess it just comes down to where you like all your thingys,buttons and levers.

kfox75 01-15-2012 08:07 AM

I have owned an Ithica Model 37, a Maverick 88, 2 Remington 870s, and a Mossberg 500 and 200k. My wife now owns the 500, and her daughter has the 870 20 ga. I have my 12 ga, 870 and the 200, and regularly use both. My personal preference is the 200. Built on the old bolt action design, it is sturdy and reliable, and it has a 2 shot detachable box magazine. If I need more rounds than that, a mag change can be done rapidly, and the C-lect choke makes it almost as versitle as my 870.

All of the shotguns listed in this thread so far are well built, relieable weapons. Be proud of what you own, and enjoy them.

Virginian 01-15-2012 04:34 PM

All you are going to hear is favorites, not best. I prefer 870 Wingmasters because everything about them feels right to me, and I shoot them as well as anything else on the planet. The Model 12 and Ithaca 37 lovers wax poetic about their hand fitted action, but that matters not to me. The BPS is in my opinion as well designed and built as anything - had 3 that never missed a beat - but I dislike bottom loading thru the magazine intently. There are millions of Mossberg lovers. Pump guns, being powered by the shooter, are inherently about as reliable as a mechanical device can be. Arguing about which is best is an overworked internet past time.

dragunovsks 01-15-2012 05:19 PM

I like the 870, got an express magnum with a rib vented barrel with screw in chokes and a shorter barrel i use for slugs both smoothbore. I also have a nef pump thats an 870 clone and i love it too. It feels natural to me and ive never had a mishap out of either shotgun. I use the express magnum for rabbit, squirrels, deer, stray cats and crows. My nef is my hd shotgun because the barrel is very short and i put a top folder on it, i also sometimes use it for deer as well.