Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Opening up chokes on Win Model 42

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 01:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Opening up chokes on Win Model 42

I have inherited a 28" Winchester Model 42 manufactured in 1955 and in excellent condition. It is choked "Full" according to the barrel markings. I'm a skeet/SC guy not a hunter. I would like advice on whether to have the choke opened up to Skeet or at least IC. Opinions please -- is this an OK idea or have I really damaged a vintage gun that should be saved? No right answer of course, but I'd like to hear from some of you vets.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yes,you will lower collector's value. If you are SURE you want to permanently modify this particular shotgun as a shooter,then go ahead. That's the only way you're going to enjoy it even tho I can hear some purists gritting their teeth already. The reason I say it should be ok is since it was inherited,You're probably never even think of selling it anyway.

Last edited by stalkingbear; 12-12-2008 at 04:53 PM. Reason: addition

Old 12-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 555

If I were you,I would try to find a used barrel with the choke you want or buy a used barrel and have it modified to the choke of your choice,or for that matter have a Win-choke screw in setup installed into a used barrel and leave the original barrel alone. That way you will not ruin the collectors value of the gun. Model 42's are hard to come by these days.
A standard grade in excellent cond is worth around $1500.00 according to my gun value book. THB

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club