open to suggestions: 20 gauge autoloader
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > open to suggestions: 20 gauge autoloader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default open to suggestions: 20 gauge autoloader

looking to buy one in the near future. i own a 12 gauge pump, like it, just not as much fun to shoot anymore (i dont need to rattle my brains loose to prove i am a man or anything like that).
looking for said 20 gauge autoloader for general purpose: occasional clays, small game, target, etc.
looking for suggestions based on actual experience, trying to help narrow down some of the choices out there. if you have owned/handled one let me know what you though/liked/think i should avoid, i would appreciate the help.

joey

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

I don't have any 20ga shotguns at this time,just 12ga,but Browning,Remington,Franchi,Benelli all make fine semi-auto guns.
If your budget is lower,look at Mossberg,Charles Daly,but I would stay away from the Stoeger shotguns,have heard they have problems from a couple of gunsmiths.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 03-17-2009, 11:25 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've had better luck with Stoeger semi-auto shotguns. In fact a 12 ga has become my go-to shotgun. Just visualize a Benelli without the fancy stuff. Be SURE to get the latest generation however. They've been made (a couple to few years) since the complete retooling and are made to MUCH improved quality control /tolerances. They can be recognized by the fiber optic front bead. perhaps they were talking about the older made shotguns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I don't have any 20ga shotguns at this time,just 12ga,but Browning,Remington,Franchi,Benelli all make fine semi-auto guns.
If your budget is lower,look at Mossberg,Charles Daly,but I would stay away from the Stoeger shotguns,have heard they have problems from a couple of gunsmiths.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:26 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I like a remington 1100,it has been my favorite shotgun for 30+ years,I have been warming up to my browning a500r though,love the replaceable choke system. I wish my Remington had that feature on it.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #5

Liked 142 Times on 109 Posts

I wouldn't trade my Model 1100 LT20 for anything. I always loved my 12 gauge 1100s, and 870s, so I bought an LT20 Magnum for ducks back when steel was first coming onto the scene in the early '80s, and you only had to use it in 12 gauges. I got an extra 2-3/4" full choke barrel, and a 2-3/4" skeet barrel, and have had a blast with it ever since. This was before screw in chokes had appeared, of course. It is trim, points like a dream, and handles great for me. I don't do it as much anymore, but it was a quail harvester supreme, and it is still fantastic for doves, clay pigeons, or pheasants.
Whatever brand of pump you have, if you really like the feel of it, you might want to look at their 20 gauge semi offering. I have found that most brands have a "feel", and it goes across gauges. I had three BPS 10 gauges, and they were excellent guns but I hate that having to load thru the magazine, and when I pick up either of my buddy's 12 or 20 BPSs or Silvers the same feel is there. I like the feel of Remingtons best, and shoot them best, so I have 12s, 20s, and a 28 in Remington.
Whatrever you get, I think you will really enjoy a 20 gauge semi. It darned sure won't beat you up.

Last edited by Virginian; 03-18-2009 at 10:14 AM.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #6

Default what 20 auto to buy?

Here's my favorites based on my own opinion and the guns I have found reliable as far as not hanging up.

Old: browning auto-5 or remington model 11
remington model 1100 if not worn out and kept clean
I can't recommend a winchester super x 1, since I bought one in new condition in 12 gauge recently and it hangs up sometimes.

Newer: I love my browning gold hunter (the only gun I've ever bought new) It DOES NOT hang up, and I like the feel of it, the sight picture, the fact that it will hold 5 with the plug out, vs. the benelli which will only hold 4. I don't like the feel of synthetic stocks, either.

GOod luck,
jason

Old 03-29-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2831 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 251

The Remington 1100 is still made in 20 ga. The 12's were a little pickey about ammo but the 20's seem to be near perfect. IMHO nothing points more naturally than an 1100.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

You may want to look at a Weatherby SA-08. It is getting great reviews and it is inexpensive.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #9

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Browning A5 or Remington Model 11.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 06-21-2012, 01:54 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5919 Times on 3348 Posts
Likes Given: 5458

Remington 1100.

Winston Churchill